|- California Wildfires 2018 http://www.readyforwildfire.org https://californiavolunteers.ca.gov/current-disasters/|
- October 2018 - Hurricane Michael Resources http://www.crowdrelief.net/HurricaneMichael https://www.floridadisaster.org
American Red Cross FEMA http://www.crowdrelief.net/V1/CajunNavyFoundation.aspx http://cajunrelief.org ressources Hurricane Michael Home Cleanup Hotline 1-800-451-1954 Florida Disaster Fund[/quote]
My old profile, accounts & the SETI@Videotron pages I maintained from 1999 to 2002 when I belonged to the defunct Videotron Ltee team.
Risen ape, optimistic nihilist, philosophical skeptic, secular humanist, atheist+, LGBTQ ally, clinobibliophile, ailurophile and chess patzer. Worked most of my life as an operator/dispatcher in the field of electronic security until MS forced me into early retirement. Usually sentient after the morning coffee. Occasionally snorts-out coffee through the nose. Permanent member of Sceptiques du Québec and board member of Atheist Freethinkers (membre permanent de Libre penseurs athées & Sceptiques du Québec). Bilingual (French/English) and trilingual when I've had a beer (or a sleepless night) too many (donc ne vous gênez pas pour me contacter en français). Can be found on twitter, facebook, goodreads, delicious, reddit and here in Team Carl Sagan (on facebook).
Furthermore, I'm a satirically, heterosexually inclined 54yo male carbon-based bag of mostly water living on a speck of iron-silicate dust around a boring dwarf star in a minor galaxy in an underpopulated local group of galaxies in an unfashionable suburb of the Laniakea supercluster (thanks to Douglas Adams for the help), fluent in French, English and Expletives. I stand for freedom of expression framed by critical thinking, democracy & state/church separation. I abhor tyrannies, absolutisms, unquestioned traditions, unhinged skepticism & complacent ethical relativisms.
“If knowledge can create problems, it is not through ignorance that we can solve them.” ― Isaac Asimov
"Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." — Jon Stewart
“You're an interesting species. An interesting mix. You're capable of such beautiful dreams, and such horrible nightmares. You feel so lost, so cut off, so alone, only you're not. See, in all our searching, the only thing we've found that makes the emptiness bearable, is each other.” ― Carl Sagan, Contact
" Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings. Even for people like us." (Susan Ivanova, character from Michael J. Straczynski's tv series Babylon 5)
|Thoughts about SETI and SETI@home|
|Q. Do you think extraterrestrial life exists? |
A. Yes, considering how unfathomably huge the cosmos is, and considering how easily life could arise due to the self organizing properties of matter in favorable environments. Intelligent life is probably much rarer, and it isn't demonstrated that intelligence (as we conceive it) is a positive evolutive survival factor (taking the human species as an example).
Q. Should humans transmit a beacon for others to find?
A. We've already been transmitting a lot since I Love Lucy. I would understand if an extraterrestrial civilization decided to quarantine us for a while after listening to Hitler or their wannabees. High-power targetted transmissions should be subjected to the complete oversight of international high-level scientific commissions. No amateurs, tyrants or psychos should speak in the name of humanity.
Q. Why do you run SETI@home?
R. I'm a romantic nerd at heart, my cat seems to love the humming and the heat generated in winter, and citizen science can certainly help us (until quantum computing reshuffles the cards) find that elusive extraterrestrial technosignal.
Q. Any suggestions?
A. Perhaps we should initiate a major, and I mean a major, international leaflet campaign to ask our so-called extragalactic undercover alien visitors to provide at least one tiny piece of material evidence they really exist outside our feverish imaginations ? Or not.
In the end, wether there are - or not - extraterrestrial entities arguing on intergalactic channels about who is growing the best coffee beans (an essential component of any successful civilization), the consequences are formidable. We need to know and, if in spite of fantabulous projects such as SETI@home we can't, then on one of those more glorious days, we will be the ones comparing and discussing on these same channels the respective qualities of Earth's vs Proxima Centauri b colony's coffees.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY – CARL SAGAN’S “LOST LECTURE” - NOVEMBER 9, 2018
Carl Sagan Institute: Carl Sagan's 1994 Lost Lecture, "The Age of Exploration" (Cleaned Up, Audio Only)
Originals, Audio and Video
► BOINC & SETI@home Help Ressources
- BOINC User manual BOINC Help: Live https://boinc.berkeley.edu/help.php Wiki https://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/BOINC_Help Forums https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_forum.php?id=10
- SETI@home Questions and Answers
Deadline vs FIFO modes https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=12675&postid=88513
Reactivating timed-out threads https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=83345&postid=1954968
Account deletion Removing a team https://boinc.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=9748&postid=57977
► PROJECTS' NEWS
- BOINCstats Free-DC boinc.berkeley (1) boinc.berkeley (2) SETI@home WCG boinc.mundayweb
- Server Status & Glossary https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_server_status.php
- Learn about SETI@home (old site)
- SETI@home data transmissions visualization https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/kiosk/
- SETI@home Beta
- A Brief History of SETI@home https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2017/05/aliens-on-your-packard-bell/527445/ May 23, 2017
- SETI@home 10th anniversary conferences by Pierre Goolaerts https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0F587054641F2EE2
- De SETI@home à BOINC (par Thierry Lombry) http://www.astrosurf.com/luxorion/seti-athome.htm
- GPU cards and comparative graphic
- Android devices problems threads 1 2 [url=][url]
- Overflows https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=83328&postid=1954272
- SETI@Home Wow!-Event 2018 15-29 August 2018 - Final results & Awards
- SETI@home Classic Registration Index
- Reverting to an older HostID https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=82634&postid=1921095
- During SETI@home downtimes: The SETI is Down Cafe
- File name meanings: BLC [url=][/url]
- SETI@home: SneakerNET offline processing setup instructions
- SETI@home: DNS Server problem fix
- eFMer: TThrottle (temperatures control) & BoincTasks (visual BOINC interface)
- Julian Modified Calendar http://www.csgnetwork.com/julianmodifdateconv.html
- Munin SETIStats https://setistats.haveland.com
- How to locate the astronomical object(s) splitter files refer to
- SETI@home Donor List[url][/url]
- Berkeley SETI's position on METI https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=76730&postid=1641391
► DISTRIBUTED COMPUTING
- Science United selects science projects for your BOINC project manager based on your interests, thus facilitating voluntary computing for the less tech savvy of us.
► EXOPLANET DATABASES
- NASA's Exoplanet Archive https://exoplanetarchive.ipac.caltech.edu/
- The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia http://exoplanet.eu/
- Open Exoplanet Catalogue http://www.openexoplanetcatalogue.com/
- New Worlds Atlas Exoplanet Archive https://exoplanets.nasa.gov/newworldsatlas/
- SIMBAD Astronomical Database http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/
► SPACE TELESCOPES
- TESS https://www.nasa.gov/tess-transiting-exoplanet-survey-satellite
- MAST https://archive.stsci.edu/index.html
- The fully rendered 3D universe “Eyes on Exoplanets” app will fly you to any planet you wish, as long as it's far beyond our solar system.
► CARL SAGAN
- http://carlsagan.com/ (on hiatus)
- https://www.reddit.com/r/carlsagan/ - https://www.reddit.com/r/Sagan/
- Saganism https://www.instagram.com/saganism/
- The Rio Scale of significance of ET detection 2.0: Online Questionnaire https://dh4gan.github.io/rioscale2/
- California fires 2018 https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=37.866989436255096%2C-122.24467506835936&hl=en&z=7&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=1HacmM5E2ueL-FT2c6QMVzoAmE5M19GAf :(
- Time zones: UTC GMT EST
- Recommanded documentary film: The Farthest (2017): How the Voyager story keeps on giving. forty years after the Voyager spacecrafts launch; captures the grandeur of the project – plus its alien appeal.
► ANDROID DEVICES
- The latest Android 64 bit-only devices are unable to run the 32 bit SETI@home code https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=82842&postid=1962561
- SETI@Home may not work properly on newer Android (7 and 8) devices
► SKY MAPS
- Sky Map, Google Sky, Centre de donnees astronomiques de Strasbourg & Celestia
► ADD-ONS & SOFTWARE
- SETIspirit is a free add-on for BOINC number crunchers with a rich feature set for SETI@home users
► IRC (updated Nov. 12, 2018)
Criten#SETI@home DALnet#SETI@home EFnet#setiathome EFnet#SETI@home EsperNet#SETI@home freenode#setiquest freenode#SETI@home IRCnet#seti@home IRCnet#setiathome MindForge#SETI@home OtherNet#SETI@home QuakeNet#seti SlashNET#SETI@home StarChat#SETI@home UnderNet#seti UnderNet#SETI@home AccessIRC#SETI@home AfterNET#SETI@home euIRCnet#SETI@home EuropNet#SETI@home SwiftIRC#SETI@home Xertion#SETI@home
See also https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/related.php http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/related.php (both unmaintained and out of date lists)
- (Why) Is SETI@home down ? Ressources
UC Berkeley Internet Service Status and planned outages http://ucbsystems.org/category/active/
Servers' status: https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/show_server_status.php
DNS Server problem fix: https://pastebin.com/sePA36DM
The SETI is Down Cafe: https://boinc.berkeley.edu/dev/forum_thread.php?id=8105&sort_style=5
BOINC & SETI@home Questions and Answers https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_help_desk.php
- BOINC/Android issues (github) https://github.com/BOINC/boinc/issues
- SETI Q & A - Cornell University
- Wikipedia Categories:Exoplanet search projects
- Celebrating Carl Sagan, Carl Sagan Portal
- wowsignal's podcast
- UC Berkeley Internet Service Status and planned outages
- PIE vs non-PIE Android devices
- Total average computing speed (at the bottom of the page - compare to the TOP500 list)
- BOINC/SETI@home terminology https://www.gridcoin.us/Guides/terminology.htm
- SETI@home Tenth Anniversary Celebration and videos http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/sah_10yr_anniversary.php
- Search for extraterrestrial intelligence https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_for_extraterrestrial_intelligence
- AR (Angle Range), AP (AstroPulse), BLC (Breakthrough Listen), CPID (Cross-Project ID), guppi (Greenbank Ultimate Pulsar Processing Instrument), MB (Multi-beam), RTS (Ready To Send buffer), VLAR (Very Large Angle Range), VLAR (Very Low Angle Range), pfb. See also https://www.gridcoin.us/Guides/terminology.htm and the SETI@home Glossary of Terms OCD (Obsessive Crunching Disorder :)
Team Members should not hesitate to use the following images provided here for their forum signatures (using your own user CPIDs on the stats.free-dc.org, boincstats.com & signature.statseb.fr sites) :
“ I don't want to believe. I want to know.” - Carl Sagan
· Member of Team Carl Sagan on Facebook · Message board ·
· 19 Year Club · Previous accounts · Hosts · Contact ·
· Join us at Team Carl Sagan ! ·
· Join World Community Grid
Admin tools: New Team CS members' history, standard messages, Movements, Team Carl Sagan overtake stats, Detailed stats, Credits/WU, Tax-free intl donations to UCB, seti@home Server Statistics,
Last updated: 15 Aug 2018
|Your feedback on this profile|
|Recommend this profile for User of the Day:
||I like this profile
|Alert administrators to an offensive profile:
||I do not like this profile