|I have always been interested in space and believed that there just HAS to be life, intelligent life, elsewhere in this galaxy and vast universe.|
I read about SETI@Home, the now famous Classic SETI, in the newspaper in May of 1999. As soon as I got home from work, I fired up my old 486DX2-66 PC and installed the project. I crunched Classic SETI until I discovered BOINC in 2004.
I installed BOINC and have been BOINCing ever since on a multitude of different PCs. Throughout the years, I had bought new mother boards, CPUs, video cards, DIMMs, hard drives, cases, etc. in an attempt to keep up with current technologies and to crunch BOINC even faster. At one point, about a year ago, 2008, I ran BOINC on a laptop. I quit that, though, because the laptop just was not built for that kind of use (abuse).
For several months, I had been reading about users having i7 powered rigs. I started dreaming of having one myself. I was checking prices and availability on the different parts and pieces needed to build such a power house. Well, over several weeks I had gathered those parts and pieces and in 2010 I made that dream a reality. I now have my own i7 powered rig.
Windows 10 OS? "What a piece of junk!" - L. Skywalker
MAIN PC LINUX BOX
MOBO....: Asus Prime Z370-A Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 Mark 2
CPU.....: Intel i7-8086K 4.0 GHz LGA-1151 Intel i7-4771 3.5 GHz LGA 1150
RAM.....: G_Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHz DDR4-3200 (Dual Channel) Crucial 16GB 1600MHz DDR3-1600 (Dual Channel)
STORAGE.: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 1TB PCI-E x4 SSD (system drive) Samsung 860 EVO V-NAND 500GB SSD (system drive)
STORAGE.: Samsung 860 EVO V-NAND 1TB SSD (program install drive) ---
STORAGE.: Western Digital 500GB 6G SATA HDD (data drive) ---
GPUs....: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti XC Ultra PCI-E 3.0 6GB GDDR6 RAM EVGA GeForce GTX 1050Ti PCI-E 3.0 4GB GDDR5 RAM
COOLING.: EVGA 400-HY-CL28-V1 AiO CPU cooling system Corsair H60 AiO CPU cooling system
CASE....: Cougar Panzer MAX full tower ULTRA Rogue M925 full tower
PSU.....: Thermaltake SP-850M 850W Smart M Series 80+ Bronze Thermaltake SP-650M 650W Smart M Series 80+ Bronze
OS......: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia / Micro$oft Win10 Pro 64bit v1903 Linux Mint v19.1 Tessa
BOINC...: v7.14.2 (x64) v7.14.2 (64 bit)
This rig is a far cry from the 486DX2-66 rig I started with in 1999.
- February 07, 2020: Upgraded my main OS to Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia [4.15.0-54-generic].
- January 15, 2019: I have performed a brain transplant in my main PC. I went from an i7-8700 to an i7-8086K CPU. I also have 2 more Raspberry Pi computers to get running SETI.
- March 29,2019: Upgraded my Winders PC from the GTX 1050Ti to a GTX 1660Ti video card.
- June 18, 2019: Upgraded my Winders PC RAM to 32GB 3200MHz.
- September 05 2019: I cloned my current 250GB M.2 NVMe drive to a 1TB M.2 NVMe drive and swapped the drives in the PC.
- September 06 2019: I installed Linux Mint v19.2 Tina as a dual boot with Winders. I copied the "secret sauce" version of BOINC to the Linux side and have it running CUDA10.1.
I am confidant that some day, one or more of us BOINCers is going to be the discoverers of that intelligent life I so believe is out there somewhere.
|Your feedback on this profile|
|Recommend this profile for User of the Day:
||I like this profile
|Alert administrators to an offensive profile:
||I do not like this profile