I started out with the Classic Seti@Home client May of 1999 after seeing an article in the newspaper saying that the project was on-line, and looking for volunteers. I started with the screen saver displayed, and quickly realized that with my slow single processor computer that was still fairly new, but already obsolete, I would be lucky if I finished one unit every couple of months or so. First, I turned off the screen saver display. That was not enough speed. I switched to the Command Line version of the program, and started leaving the computer running just to process work units. Then I found a member donated program to manage uploads, and downloads, getting more than one unit downloaded at a time in case the servers dropped. Yes, I was obsessed.
I stopped being "active" for a while when the classic client was turned off. BOINC did not run very well on my over-burdened now very old (by computer standards) computer. I ended with 2,175 work units done in 24,716 hours, for an average of one unit every 5 hours or so. That is pretty good since the first units took 20 hours or more. And, I have one candidate of interest- SAHGn06+18a.
Now, I have returned with a new faster dual core computer, and I have now passed my previous high position. My computer is a laptop, and I only run the project around 40 hours a week.