Turn on Pending credit!!


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Turn on Pending credit!!

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next
Author Message
Eldonia
Send message
Joined: 27 Apr 03
Posts: 25
Credit: 297,557
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28242 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 3:08:24 UTC

I am not a complainer but Im going to complain atm. I hone;stly dont like how you have to crunch these WU's taking 3 people to get credit.. but thats how it sgoing to work so whatever =/

But I have crunched atleast 35+ WUs the past couple of days and have not recieved one single credit for it.. I'd just like fo rpending credit to be turned on so I know what i'll 'Eventually' be getting :(
<img>
<img>

Profile The Gas Giant
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 22 Nov 01
Posts: 1896
Credit: 2,622,541
RAC: 28
Australia
Message 28329 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 12:26:37 UTC - in response to Message 28242.
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 12:29:51 UTC

> I am not a complainer but Im going to complain atm. I hone;stly dont like how
> you have to crunch these WU's taking 3 people to get credit.. but thats how it
> sgoing to work so whatever =/
>
> But I have crunched atleast 35+ WUs the past couple of days and have not
> recieved one single credit for it.. I'd just like fo rpending credit to be
> turned on so I know what i'll 'Eventually' be getting :(

Absolutely! Come on Berkeley this is meant to be a feature that yourselves have pushed....I know this will increase the server load, but if people do not feel they are getting a "fair deal" with credit then we may as well just go back to the 1wu for 1 credit system.

Happy crunching (but only really happy if I knew I wasn't getting screwed for credit)!

Paul
(S@H1 8000+wu's)

BETA

Profile Jaaku
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Oct 02
Posts: 494
Credit: 346,224
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 28331 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 12:56:49 UTC

I would also like to see pending credit back on, Berkly add avatars and server stats why not this?

Jaaku

^ Click Here ^ ^ Click Here ^ ^ Click Here ^

STE\/E [BlackOps]
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 29 Mar 03
Posts: 1137
Credit: 3,194,221
RAC: 6,290
Message 28338 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:14:12 UTC
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 13:16:08 UTC

The Pending Credits & Results Features are probably something that they are not to eager to turn back on, because I feel it will open up a whole new can of worms once a lot of people see how bad they have been screwed on a lot of their WU's that they turned in...IMO

I haven't run any short WU's in quite a while yet I still see credit increases like .50 when I update the Client, when I see that I know I'm getting the Royal End of the Shaft. It's not really appealing to run this Project for 8 hr's on a slower PC to only see a .50 Granted Credit for that amount of hr's for the WU...

Profile Dr Leo Lion
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 23 May 03
Posts: 14
Credit: 14,359,581
RAC: 0
Australia
Message 28343 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:23:14 UTC - in response to Message 28338.

I agree.

However, I can see the progress of this thread already.

Next person will be "it's for the science"

-----> "Stop complaining"

----> "If you don't like it leave"

----> the end of thread.


STE\/E [BlackOps]
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 29 Mar 03
Posts: 1137
Credit: 3,194,221
RAC: 6,290
Message 28348 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:38:16 UTC

Well they can say all that but I think they know me by now & that I'm not going to listen to them anyway. I say what I have to say and if they don't like it then they can take a hike...To put it nicely... ;)

Profile Papa Zito
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 7 Feb 03
Posts: 257
Credit: 624,881
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28349 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:38:56 UTC - in response to Message 28242.

> I am not a complainer but Im going to complain atm. I hone;stly dont like how
> you have to crunch these WU's taking 3 people to get credit.. but thats how it
> sgoing to work so whatever =/
>
> But I have crunched atleast 35+ WUs the past couple of days and have not
> recieved one single credit for it.. I'd just like fo rpending credit to be
> turned on so I know what i'll 'Eventually' be getting :(
> <img>
> <img>

First of all, this: "I am not a complainer but Im going to complain atm." is hilarious.

Secondly, solving things like "BOINC destroyed my Win98 machine!" is far more important than "OMG must c my credzzorz LOLolol!!11oneone." Please remember priorities.




------------------------------------


The game High/Low is played by tossing two nuclear warheads into the air. The one whose bomb explodes higher wins. This game is usually played by people of low intelligence, hence the name High/Low.

STE\/E [BlackOps]
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 29 Mar 03
Posts: 1137
Credit: 3,194,221
RAC: 6,290
Message 28352 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:47:09 UTC
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 13:48:37 UTC

Secondly, solving things like "BOINC destroyed my Win98 machine!" is far more important than "OMG must c my credzzorz LOLolol!!11oneone." Please remember priorities.
=========

Your wrong there PaPa, the Pending Credits & Results Features are just as important as somebody's Win98 Machine being destroyed, as far as I'm concerned the Win98 Machines need to be destroyed if their living that far back in the cave yet...

Those Features are available at any of the other Projects and theres a lot less complaining about the Credit System also. If your continually getting screwed on the credits & have no way of knowing it then your PC might as well be destroyed for all the good it's doing you...

The only reason these Projects stay alive is because of the Credits, take the Credits away & there would not be enough people left to run them to make it worth while to continue the Projects & the Project Directors know that or there wouldn't be any reason for them to have Credits...IMO

Honie
Send message
Joined: 22 Jan 04
Posts: 141
Credit: 29,681,066
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 28355 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 13:54:43 UTC - in response to Message 28349.

> Secondly, solving things like "BOINC destroyed my Win98 machine!" is far more
> important than "OMG must c my credzzorz LOLolol!!11oneone." Please remember
> priorities.

I think the pending feature it's not more than a single SQL-Phrase.
It couldn't be last that long to write a simple query without any overload,
so we can see how the status is.

I'm mean "select * from table where ..." is not the way they should do if they are working with BLOBs, but just select the important columns shouldn't be so
difficult.

Profile [HWU] GHz & CO. - BOINC.Italy
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 1 Jul 02
Posts: 139
Credit: 1,279,729
RAC: 0
Italy
Message 28370 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 14:39:37 UTC - in response to Message 28355.

> > Secondly, solving things like "BOINC destroyed my Win98 machine!" is far
> more
> > important than "OMG must c my credzzorz LOLolol!!11oneone." Please
> remember
> > priorities.
>
> I think the pending feature it's not more than a single SQL-Phrase.
> It couldn't be last that long to write a simple query without any overload,
> so we can see how the status is.
>
> I'm mean "select * from table where ..." is not the way they should do if they
> are working with BLOBs, but just select the important columns shouldn't be so
> difficult.
>


I want to see that it's easy or not, or it can overload the server o not, but if it's possible it's sufficent only to show the number of total pending credit. In this mode it's easy to monitor our credit flow and crunch more happy ;)
<p>GHz

Hardware Upgrade - Seti@home

Profile Paul D. Buck
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Jul 00
Posts: 3898
Credit: 1,158,042
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28376 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 14:51:43 UTC

If you go to my glossary and look at the SQL definitions I show a couple statements that cause various loads on the database.

In the case of one statement, it does not look that bad but it took 4 plus hours to run.

Even with a precise statement pulling only the one column out for the pending credit page, the query still requires a full table scan of the credit table.

The most effective work around to avoid that would require a change to the tranistioner code to keep a running total in the user table that would get updated each time that credit was requested and when it was granted.

Unfortunately, major changes to the transitioner may not be to our benefit, and the second mechanism would potentionally require a massive query to get us to the point where the query could begin to do the bookeeping.

The suggestion of the avatars reflecting on the speed of the system is invalid in that the avatars are not any additional load on the database where we have performance limitations. So, avatars can be added easily, pending credit cannot.
<p>
For BOINC Documentaion: Click Me!


Profile PT
Send message
Joined: 19 May 99
Posts: 231
Credit: 902,910
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 28378 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 14:52:38 UTC - in response to Message 28242.
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 14:53:54 UTC

>
> But I have crunched atleast 35+ WUs the past couple of days and have not
> recieved one single credit for it.. I'd just like fo rpending credit to be
> turned on so I know what i'll 'Eventually' be getting :(


Yes please, turn those features on!
If I can look at my profile and see that there are changes then I know that my computer are alive when I'm at office. And if they're not. Yes - then I know! Silly ah! But knowing is better then not knowing!



If I hade six hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend the first four sharpening the axe.

Profile Jaaku
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Oct 02
Posts: 494
Credit: 346,224
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 28391 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 15:28:00 UTC

I dont mind it being down, but i would like to see my stats, and see why i have stoped reciving credit the past few days!

Jaaku

^ Click Here ^ ^ Click Here ^ ^ Click Here ^

Cryz
Send message
Joined: 22 Feb 02
Posts: 46
Credit: 9,737
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 28396 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 15:45:06 UTC

I'm no expert but maybe it is possible to export the total pending credit(for a user) and number of wu's with the XML stats for all the stat-sites

Profile Papa Zito
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 7 Feb 03
Posts: 257
Credit: 624,881
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28438 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 19:48:55 UTC - in response to Message 28352.

> The only reason these Projects stay alive is because of the Credits, take the
> Credits away & there would not be enough people left to run them to make
> it worth while to continue the Projects & the Project Directors know that
> or there wouldn't be any reason for them to have Credits...IMO
>
>

That's ridiculous. This project didn't give out credits for weeks and it's doing just fine.




------------------------------------


The game High/Low is played by tossing two nuclear warheads into the air. The one whose bomb explodes higher wins. This game is usually played by people of low intelligence, hence the name High/Low.

STE\/E [BlackOps]
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 29 Mar 03
Posts: 1137
Credit: 3,194,221
RAC: 6,290
Message 28493 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 23:14:15 UTC
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 23:18:49 UTC

That's ridiculous. This project didn't give out credits for weeks and it's doing just fine.
==========

Thats because everybody knew eventually the Credits would start to come again. But I can assure you if it was posted by the developers that there would be no more Credits you would see a mass exodus to either projects that gave Credits or if none of the Projects gave Credit then a lot of people would just stop running the Projects all together.

I've personally read articles that from the early inception of the Seti Classic and now BOINC that the Developers realized that a Credit System would be needed to attract enough people to the different Projects. So it's not really ridiculous...

Why do you think so many not getting any Credit Threads are started & people saying there leaving the Project because of a lack of Credits, it's sure isn't because of the Science I can guarantee you that...IMO



Andrew Johnson
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 26 Nov 99
Posts: 1
Credit: 2,161
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 28500 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 23:39:42 UTC - in response to Message 28352.


>
> Those Features are available at any of the other Projects and theres a lot
> less complaining about the Credit System also. If your continually getting
> screwed on the credits & have no way of knowing it then your PC might as
> well be destroyed for all the good it's doing you...
>

Well I've just decided to change from doing the Classic Seti, found that most of the WU don't come with me, and it doesn't look too rosy in here. Time to get the bicycle out Seti. I'll finish what I've downloaded and then I'm off!

Profile Bruno G. Olsen & ESEA @ greenholt
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 May 99
Posts: 875
Credit: 4,173,638
RAC: 4,044
Denmark
Message 28507 - Posted: 21 Sep 2004, 0:23:52 UTC

Why do I get this idea that I've read all this before?

(thanks to Paul D. Buck for one of the few posts that has and makes sence)


S@h Berkeley's Staff Friends Club ©

Profile Paul D. Buck
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Jul 00
Posts: 3898
Credit: 1,158,042
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28613 - Posted: 21 Sep 2004, 11:50:03 UTC - in response to Message 28507.

Bruno,

> Why do I get this idea that I've read all this before?
>
> (thanks to Paul D. Buck for one of the few posts that has and makes sence)

Because we have...

And thank you for the compliment.
<p>
For BOINC Documentaion: Click Me!


Profile Papa Zito
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 7 Feb 03
Posts: 257
Credit: 624,881
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28654 - Posted: 21 Sep 2004, 14:07:00 UTC - in response to Message 28493.


> Thats because everybody knew eventually the Credits would start to come again.
> But I can assure you if it was posted by the developers that there would be no
> more Credits you would see a mass exodus to either projects that gave Credits
> or if none of the Projects gave Credit then a lot of people would just stop
> running the Projects all together.
>
> I've personally read articles that from the early inception of the Seti
> Classic and now BOINC that the Developers realized that a Credit System would
> be needed to attract enough people to the different Projects. So it's not
> really ridiculous...
>
> Why do you think so many not getting any Credit Threads are started &
> people saying there leaving the Project because of a lack of Credits, it's
> sure isn't because of the Science I can guarantee you that...IMO
>

Just like everybody knows that the pending credit feature will be turned on again. Eventually. But, like I said before, it's not a priority. It doesn't make sense to repaint the boat while it's sinking. Let's patch the holes first before we start looking at the cosmetic stuff.




------------------------------------


The game High/Low is played by tossing two nuclear warheads into the air. The one whose bomb explodes higher wins. This game is usually played by people of low intelligence, hence the name High/Low.

1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · Next

Message boards : Number crunching : Turn on Pending credit!!

Copyright © 2014 University of California