Credit on several computers


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Credit on several computers

Author Message
Five Square
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 5
Credit: 70,687
RAC: 0
Netherlands
Message 26798 - Posted: 15 Sep 2004, 17:08:25 UTC

I have hooked on three computers via a lan. All are crunching and uploading results. In my account info, only one comp. getting the credits. The others are still on 0.00 Are the credits of the other two added to the credits of the main comp., or do I get credit for them seperatly?

Regards
Five Square

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 26812 - Posted: 15 Sep 2004, 18:24:37 UTC
Last modified: 15 Sep 2004, 18:26:06 UTC

How getting credits works:

The results of processing of a WU is first uploaded.
Once this is done, the next step is to report the results. This is the moment the credit is claimed. But, your claimed credit is compared to the one of 2 other PC's. They have to match or to be close together, otherwise your claimed credit will not be granted.

This all means, in total 3 PC's has to claim first roughly the same amount of credit. As a result of this, it takes normally some 7 days or even more before you get credit.

More about credit can be find here.

Are the credits of the other two added to the credits of the main comp., or do I get credit for them seperatly?

If you have different PC's but under the same account, they will all come an that account.

Greetings from Belgium.

Help Desk: use "Most recent answer first" sorting.

Five Square
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 5
Credit: 70,687
RAC: 0
Netherlands
Message 26818 - Posted: 15 Sep 2004, 18:50:12 UTC - in response to Message 26812.

> How getting credits works:
>
> The results of processing of a WU is first uploaded.
> Once this is done, the next step is to report the results. This is the moment
> the credit is claimed. But, your claimed credit is compared to the one of 2
> other PC's. They have to match or to be close together, otherwise your claimed
> credit will not be granted.
>
> This all means, in total 3 PC's has to claim first roughly the same amount of
> credit. As a result of this, it takes normally some 7 days or even more before
> you get credit.
>
> More about credit can be find <a> href="http://boinc.berkeley.edu/credit.php">here[/url].
>
> Are the credits of the other two added to the credits of the main comp., or
> do I get credit for them seperatly?

>
> If you have different PC's but under the same account, they will all come an
> that account.
>
> Greetings from Belgium.

> Help Desk: use "Most recent answer first" sorting.
> <img> src="http://seti.mundayweb.com/stats.php?userID=293">
>
So, to be sure I get it straight: all the credits are given to my account, and will be shown as credit to the first computer in the preferences screen on the seti-server. The two other comps. on the same account will not have separate credits in the preferences screen. Is this right?

Thx for your reply. Greetz from Holland ;-)

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24685
Credit: 522,659
RAC: 19
United States
Message 26923 - Posted: 16 Sep 2004, 2:21:17 UTC - in response to Message 26818.

> So, to be sure I get it straight: all the credits are given to my account, and
> will be shown as credit to the first computer in the preferences screen on the
> seti-server. The two other comps. on the same account will not have separate
> credits in the preferences screen. Is this right?

No. I have several machines each of which gets their own credit. You have probably been unlucky with the first WUs on a couple of machines. It can take several weeks for any particular WU to be granted credit. First two other machines have to upload and report the very similar results for the same WU. Then the verifier has to get around to verifying that they are the same result (the credit request does NOT count in this comparisson). Then that machine will be granted credit for the WU.

I have a couple of slow computers that did not get any credit granted for about 4 weeks. After credit starts flowing, it will be granted steadily if the verifier is up. The transitioner also has some role to play in the process.

Profile ditchhook
Send message
Joined: 5 Nov 99
Posts: 14
Credit: 138,649
RAC: 0
United States
Message 27038 - Posted: 16 Sep 2004, 13:56:45 UTC - in response to Message 26812.

I'm having a similar problem, but in addition to no reported credits, my account stats are showing that-- after eight days-- some of my machines are not contacting the server (the last contact with the server is nearly identical with the day the machine was 'created'). On the other hand, all my machines are telling me they are sucessfully contacting the server daily to return completed-- and download new-- wus. I've been running both cp and seti for over a week now, both sites confirm the problem. All the machines in question are nearly identical, and are now using the same network connection. Could their similarities be confusing the projects' software?

I'm not a credit hound. I want to be reassured that everything is working right however-- especially since I'm runing BOINC through OS-X UNIX on these machines prior to loaning them out to other folks. I just want to move on to installing BOINC on other machines, and moving on to other tasks.


Five Square
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 5
Credit: 70,687
RAC: 0
Netherlands
Message 27109 - Posted: 16 Sep 2004, 19:44:50 UTC - in response to Message 26923.


> No. I have several machines each of which gets their own credit. You have
> probably been unlucky with the first WUs on a couple of machines. It can take
> several weeks for any particular WU to be granted credit. First two other
> machines have to upload and report the very similar results for the same WU.
> Then the verifier has to get around to verifying that they are the same result
> (the credit request does NOT count in this comparisson). Then that machine
> will be granted credit for the WU.
>
Ok, however still a little puzzled. The main comp gets credits added almost every day. Other two comps. nothing yet. However they are uploading and the server even makes copies of the same comp. in my computerlist. That indicates that the server has received the WU's. I only want to be sure that those comps are not crunching without seti getting the results.

CU Five S.

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Credit on several computers

Copyright © 2014 University of California