Seti Classic credit after the snapshot

Message boards : Number crunching : Seti Classic credit after the snapshot
Message board moderation

To post messages, you must log in.

AuthorMessage
Profile Daykay
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 18 Dec 00
Posts: 647
Credit: 739,559
RAC: 0
Australia
Message 10804 - Posted: 21 Jul 2004, 15:55:28 UTC

Hey guys was just wonderin if anyone knows if we will be given any credit for any Seti Classic WU's completed after the snapshot was done.

I wonder because in the days shortly after the snapshot i bought a new comp with seriously heavier computing power and completed an extra 100 WU's or so. Unfortunately though they haven't been carried over to my stats at the BOINC page.

Cheers,
kolch
ID: 10804 · Report as offensive
Profile Christopher Hauber
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 10 Feb 01
Posts: 196
Credit: 71,611
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10820 - Posted: 21 Jul 2004, 16:35:20 UTC - in response to Message 10804.  

You won't recieve any BOINC credit for anything done on SETI Classic. But Rom confirmed recently that another snapshot WILL be taken when they are ready to close down the Classic site, which I am glad about. While the credit doesn't count in any way, I like to know how about how much I have actually done.

Chris

> Hey guys was just wonderin if anyone knows if we will be given any credit for
> any Seti Classic WU's completed after the snapshot was done.
>
> I wonder because in the days shortly after the snapshot i bought a new comp
> with seriously heavier computing power and completed an extra 100 WU's or so.
> Unfortunately though they haven't been carried over to my stats at the BOINC
> page.
>
> Cheers,
> kolch
>
>
ID: 10820 · Report as offensive
Profile Daykay
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 18 Dec 00
Posts: 647
Credit: 739,559
RAC: 0
Australia
Message 10826 - Posted: 21 Jul 2004, 16:43:56 UTC - in response to Message 10820.  

> You won't recieve any BOINC credit for anything done on SETI Classic. But Rom
> confirmed recently that another snapshot WILL be taken when they are ready to
> close down the Classic site, which I am glad about. While the credit doesn't
> count in any way, I like to know how about how much I have actually done.
>
> Chris


Good news. Figured it wouldn't count as BOINC credit but to view the actual amount of work that i have done, like yourself.

For now though i'll just have to sit tight until they all get these delays and shortages sorted out.

kolch
ID: 10826 · Report as offensive
Profile Marcin Radzikowski

Send message
Joined: 15 May 99
Posts: 17
Credit: 10,988,360
RAC: 47
Canada
Message 10979 - Posted: 22 Jul 2004, 2:01:48 UTC

Just read on another post that since the credit system in BOINC is the same regardless of the project you're participating in, you should be able to have stats that combine all of your projects into one! Cool...

Anyway, what is the big deal with SETI@home classic credits? Not very representative of what you've actually contributed since your computer probably worked on one unit a dozen times!

---

ID: 10979 · Report as offensive
Profile Christopher Hauber
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 10 Feb 01
Posts: 196
Credit: 71,611
RAC: 0
United States
Message 11036 - Posted: 22 Jul 2004, 3:54:08 UTC - in response to Message 10979.  

Oh it's not a big deal. It's just a guage. I processed a fair number of workunits between the snapshot and release. The numbers aren't perfect, but whether processed once, or 100 times, the computer still spent time on it, and I just have a record of the approximate computer usage for SETI, most of which has been since late October.

> Just read on another post that since the credit system in BOINC is the same
> regardless of the project you're participating in, you should be able to have
> stats that combine all of your projects into one! Cool...
>
> Anyway, what is the big deal with SETI@home classic credits? Not very
> representative of what you've actually contributed since your computer
> probably worked on one unit a dozen times!
>

ID: 11036 · Report as offensive

Message boards : Number crunching : Seti Classic credit after the snapshot


 
©2019 University of California
 
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.