HELP - Wrong language in BOINC


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Web site : HELP - Wrong language in BOINC

Author Message
Cragg
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 12 Nov 99
Posts: 36
Credit: 3,080,050
RAC: 239
Canada
Message 892281 - Posted: 7 May 2009, 13:25:56 UTC

Not really a crunching issue so please bear with me. Yesterday I updated to 6.6.20 and when I go to any page from SETI I get a full screen or more of the following in my browser when clicking from BOINC (preferences, your results, etc), and beneath it I find the Seti page I wanted.
________________________________________
$language_lookup_array["fr"]["WHAT_IS"] = "Qu'est-ce que SETI@home ?"; $language_lookup_array["fr"]["PROJ_DESC"] = "SETI@home est une exp�rience scientifique qui utilise des ordinateurs connect�s � Internet pour la recherche d'intelligence extraterrestre (SETI). Vous pouvez y participer en ex�cutant un programme gratuit qui t�l�charge et analyse les donn�es d'un radio-t�l�scope."; $language_lookup_array["fr"]["PARTICIPATE"] = "PARTICIPER"; $language_lookup_array["fr"]["RULES"] = "R�gles et Usages"; $language_lookup_array["fr"
______________________________________

This is only 3 lines worth. This is ONLY happening with SETI and no other page. Using IE8. I am in Canada, but only use the English settings.

Is this a code error with the Seti pages since it ONLY happens here, or is there an issue on my machine? I have scanned for viruses with McAfee, Run Spybot, cleared my temp and cache files, and rebooted.

Anyone else getting this? Any ideas? Thanks in advance,

Cary
____________

Stefan Ver3
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 17 Sep 07
Posts: 40
Credit: 418,139
RAC: 0
Antarctica
Message 892311 - Posted: 7 May 2009, 14:21:55 UTC - in response to Message 892281.
Last modified: 7 May 2009, 14:36:07 UTC

Sounds like a bug with IE8.
Have you checked under 'internet properties/Appearance/Languages/' of your browser.
If english(en-CA) and canada(fr-CA) are both present in the box, this will cause an error like the one you discribe.
If both are not present, try a new english region and restart your browser.
Sounds like a carry over bug with IE8, as IE7 will produce a similar event.
____________
The Search for Extra Terrestrial KItties!!

Profile [seti.international] Dirk SadowskiProject donor
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 6 Apr 07
Posts: 7114
Credit: 61,252,236
RAC: 8,084
Germany
Message 892312 - Posted: 7 May 2009, 14:22:48 UTC
Last modified: 7 May 2009, 14:23:38 UTC


I guess it have something to do with the (current) database problem.
Only a temporarely prob.

I guess it will come back automatically.

Now if you look there, the webside is well?


Maybe this would be interesting for you?
http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=53474



BTW.
I prepared my message in the NC forum.. where I seen your thread first..
Now you are here.. ;-)
Hope you will find your thread..

____________
BR

SETI@home Needs your Help ... $10 & U get a Star!

Team seti.international

Das Deutsche Cafe. The German Cafe.

Cragg
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 12 Nov 99
Posts: 36
Credit: 3,080,050
RAC: 239
Canada
Message 892357 - Posted: 7 May 2009, 15:59:49 UTC - in response to Message 892311.

THANK YOU!

Internet Properties was showing both US English and Canada French. When the French was removed, everything returned to normal. Now I need to test that if I need to view a French site (for work) that I'll be able to see it properly.

This must have something to do with my update, as in almost 10 years, it has never happened.

Hopefully someone will fix this bug.

Thanks again !
____________

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24785
Credit: 524,053
RAC: 86
United States
Message 892499 - Posted: 7 May 2009, 23:45:38 UTC - in response to Message 892357.

THANK YOU!

Internet Properties was showing both US English and Canada French. When the French was removed, everything returned to normal. Now I need to test that if I need to view a French site (for work) that I'll be able to see it properly.

This must have something to do with my update, as in almost 10 years, it has never happened.

Hopefully someone will fix this bug.

Thanks again !

It is not likely to be the upgrade to BOINC 6.6.20 that you did. This sounds like a web problem, and S@H has been having problems with the DataBase - which drives much of the web interface.
____________


BOINC WIKI

Questions and Answers : Web site : HELP - Wrong language in BOINC

Copyright © 2014 University of California