Hide computers


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Hide computers

Author Message
Profile StarField
Send message
Joined: 8 Oct 02
Posts: 2
Credit: 464,666
RAC: 0
Sweden
Message 17312 - Posted: 25 Aug 2004, 5:57:58 UTC

How do I hide computers to other users?

canis lupus
Send message
Joined: 26 Oct 03
Posts: 154
Credit: 13,061
RAC: 0
Message 17319 - Posted: 25 Aug 2004, 8:03:29 UTC

Your Account
Preferences, SETI@home, View or Edit
Edit SETI@home Preferences
Should SETI@home show your computers on its web site? - change setting
Update Preferences

Other users won't see them - you still will if you are logged in to your account.

I'm curious - why do people want to hide their computers?


--
<p>Regards, Paul - Just slowly BOINCing along...</p>

Heffed
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Mar 02
Posts: 1856
Credit: 40,736
RAC: 0
United States
Message 17585 - Posted: 25 Aug 2004, 23:17:46 UTC - in response to Message 17319.

> I'm curious - why do people want to hide their computers?

I think it's because they go to their computers page on their account and see their IP address.

I don't think they realize that this info is only visible to them...

I could never see the point to hiding them myself, as there is no critical info publicly listed. I enjoy seeing what people are running with, and it's quite a nice troubleshooting tool when someone has a problem, you can look at their systems and possibly see what the problem is. (at least you could when the results weren't disabled)

<a> [/url]

Tom Stepka
Send message
Joined: 25 May 99
Posts: 15
Credit: 1,368,840
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28960 - Posted: 22 Sep 2004, 12:18:08 UTC - in response to Message 17585.

> > I'm curious - why do people want to hide their computers?
>
> I think it's because they go to their computers page on their account and see
> their IP address.
>
> I don't think they realize that this info is only visible to them...
>
> I could never see the point to hiding them myself, as there is no critical
> info publicly listed. I enjoy seeing what people are running with, and it's
> quite a nice troubleshooting tool when someone has a problem, you can look at
> their systems and possibly see what the problem is. (at least you could when
> the results weren't disabled)
>
> <a> [/url]
>

I disagree - the computer listing shows Windows version and service packs installed. This info can be used to identify computers with security holes vulnerable to specific attacks.

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24055
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 29227 - Posted: 23 Sep 2004, 2:46:28 UTC - in response to Message 28960.

> > > I'm curious - why do people want to hide their computers?
> >
> > I think it's because they go to their computers page on their account and
> see
> > their IP address.
> >
> > I don't think they realize that this info is only visible to them...
> >
> > I could never see the point to hiding them myself, as there is no
> critical
> > info publicly listed. I enjoy seeing what people are running with, and
> it's
> > quite a nice troubleshooting tool when someone has a problem, you can
> look at
> > their systems and possibly see what the problem is. (at least you could
> when
> > the results weren't disabled)
> >
> > <a> [/url]

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Hide computers

Copyright © 2014 University of California