This sux.... get the stuff online and working, ffs


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Cafe SETI : This sux.... get the stuff online and working, ffs

Author Message
mrpcguy
Send message
Joined: 16 Dec 01
Posts: 21
Credit: 33,771
RAC: 0
Sweden
Message 14925 - Posted: 9 Aug 2004, 9:36:26 UTC
Last modified: 9 Aug 2004, 9:49:35 UTC

this much downtime makes people to quit support SETI :( im start loosing hope at this. Life in universe??? life at boinc center?? how knows?? hopfully where gona find out...

Profile The worm that turned
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 May 99
Posts: 100
Credit: 4,209,034
RAC: 9,880
Australia
Message 14933 - Posted: 9 Aug 2004, 10:32:59 UTC
Last modified: 10 Sep 2004, 1:24:23 UTC

Profile Jesus
Send message
Joined: 6 Feb 04
Posts: 1
Credit: 15,584
RAC: 0
United States
Message 15675 - Posted: 20 Aug 2004, 2:42:00 UTC

I'm also starting to get quite annoyed by all of this. I've even debated moving back to the old client just to do some number crunching. If this continues I'm going to drop the project, I'd rather not waste my time.

Profile mikey
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 17 Dec 99
Posts: 4215
Credit: 3,474,603
RAC: 0
United States
Message 16124 - Posted: 21 Aug 2004, 17:28:52 UTC - in response to Message 15675.

> I'm also starting to get quite annoyed by all of this. I've even debated
> moving back to the old client just to do some number crunching. If this
> continues I'm going to drop the project, I'd rather not waste my time.
>
If you can help fix the problems then by all means offer your services...otherwise let the experts do their work and either contribute or don't! These problems are being worked on by a VERY dedicated group of individuals putting in ALOT of hours. THEY WILL GET IT FIXED! Seti Classic was down for more than a week once, would you have quit that too? The outage was because someone stole the copper cable and not software related, but the system was still down. Give it a week or so crunching Classic and then try again.


Ranger
Send message
Joined: 27 Dec 00
Posts: 49
Credit: 39,482,301
RAC: 11,444
United States
Message 16179 - Posted: 21 Aug 2004, 22:03:17 UTC - in response to Message 16124.

> > I'm also starting to get quite annoyed by all of this. I've even
> debated
> > moving back to the old client just to do some number crunching. If this
> > continues I'm going to drop the project, I'd rather not waste my time.
> >
> If you can help fix the problems then by all means offer your
> services...otherwise let the experts do their work and either contribute or
> don't! These problems are being worked on by a VERY dedicated group of
> individuals putting in ALOT of hours. THEY WILL GET IT FIXED! Seti Classic was
> down for more than a week once, would you have quit that too? The outage was
> because someone stole the copper cable and not software related, but the
> system was still down. Give it a week or so crunching Classic and then try
> again.
>
>
>
>

These message boards are here for collaboration and commiseration. The writer WAS contributing. Oh, there is a BIG difference between someone stealing copper wire and the problems we've seen with this project.

Profile Kevin N. Shapley
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 1 Jan 00
Posts: 100
Credit: 2,539,295
RAC: 0
United States
Message 16286 - Posted: 22 Aug 2004, 7:19:56 UTC


I downloaded new WU's with a Report Deadline of Sept 4 just today.



<a> [/url]

Profile mikey
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 17 Dec 99
Posts: 4215
Credit: 3,474,603
RAC: 0
United States
Message 16340 - Posted: 22 Aug 2004, 13:05:57 UTC - in response to Message 16179.


>
> These message boards are here for collaboration and commiseration. The writer
> WAS contributing. Oh, there is a BIG difference between someone stealing
> copper wire and the problems we've seen with this project.
>
Don't think for even one second that Berkeley sat on their hands while the wire was replaced! They were working on getting the system back up and available with out using the copper wire, even while the copper wire was being replaced!

Profile Atangel
Send message
Joined: 14 May 99
Posts: 61
Credit: 1,024,161
RAC: 7
United States
Message 16398 - Posted: 22 Aug 2004, 18:05:23 UTC - in response to Message 14925.

> this much downtime makes people to quit support SETI :( im start loosing hope
> at this. Life in universe??? life at boinc center?? how knows?? hopfully where
> gona find out...
>

I second it. I've stopped BOINC from running at start up at this point. While some people will scream about negative comments, the truth is I've been quietly helping and running WU since way back and this smacks of something badly mismanaged.

They would have been better off leaving the well-enough alone until they were sure. They came out of beta way too early or after not having thought it through.

A week of issues is one thing, but this has gone on for months now. It is big black eye on the project, and they need ALL the people they can get, even the fickle ones who have already given up and won't be back. Volume counts in this game and they blew an excellent opportunity.

Ranger
Send message
Joined: 27 Dec 00
Posts: 49
Credit: 39,482,301
RAC: 11,444
United States
Message 16447 - Posted: 22 Aug 2004, 20:57:22 UTC - in response to Message 16340.

>
> >
> > These message boards are here for collaboration and commiseration. The
> writer
> > WAS contributing. Oh, there is a BIG difference between someone
> stealing
> > copper wire and the problems we've seen with this project.
> >
> Don't think for even one second that Berkeley sat on their hands while the
> wire was replaced! They were working on getting the system back up and
> available with out using the copper wire, even while the copper wire was being
> replaced!
>
>
>

I believe that you are wrong on this account mikey. Read the Tech News for March 5, 2001. They took advantage of the outage to do some work they otherwise would not have been able to do, but other than that the Devs had nothing to do with getting the projet back online, it was all in the hands of the people laying new cable to SSL. Had the copper wire not been cut and stolen there would not have been an interruption, the software and databases were working just fine both before and after.

Profile mikey
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 17 Dec 99
Posts: 4215
Credit: 3,474,603
RAC: 0
United States
Message 16553 - Posted: 23 Aug 2004, 5:38:10 UTC - in response to Message 16447.


> >
>
> I believe that you are wrong on this account mikey. Read the Tech News for
> March 5, 2001. They took advantage of the outage to do some work they
> otherwise would not have been able to do, but other than that the Devs had
> nothing to do with getting the projet back online, it was all in the hands of
> the people laying new cable to SSL. Had the copper wire not been cut and
> stolen there would not have been an interruption, the software and databases
> were working just fine both before and after.
>
Yes I agree that had the wire not been stolen, Seti would NOT have gone down!
BUT because it did go down the Berkely people worked on finding ways around the problem. Phone lines were tried, satellite was explored, lots of things were discussed and in the end the cable was replaced. The cable did serve a huge chunk of the Campus not just the Seti buidings. Remember they even talked about an off site building for the servers? So we would not be as subject to thievery.

Profile MrMaxx
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 22 Apr 99
Posts: 135
Credit: 623,288
RAC: 236
United States
Message 21927 - Posted: 3 Sep 2004, 18:22:06 UTC

I, for one, think they ought to post an update... just leaving the news from last night "The Snap App hung again. We will be down for the night." and not saying anything else (now after 11AM Berkeley time on Sept 3) is NOT a good idea!

Pascal, K G
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2343
Credit: 150,491
RAC: 0
United States
Message 21945 - Posted: 3 Sep 2004, 18:54:25 UTC

So many EXPERTS, so little help.....;o)



M7 Seti@h Berkeley's Staff Friends Club ©

Profile MrMaxx
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 22 Apr 99
Posts: 135
Credit: 623,288
RAC: 236
United States
Message 21970 - Posted: 3 Sep 2004, 19:44:26 UTC - in response to Message 21945.
Last modified: 3 Sep 2004, 19:46:10 UTC

> So many EXPERTS, so little help.....;o)
>
Yeah.... Well, if they need someone to update the news page, I'll volunteer. Give me access to the web page and instructions on how to update it, as well as information to update and I'll be glad to update the site, or at least help update it. :D

I'll admit, I'm no programmer, but I <B>CAN</B> edit basic HTML.

Angstrom
Send message
Joined: 20 Sep 99
Posts: 205
Credit: 10,131
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 21972 - Posted: 3 Sep 2004, 19:47:59 UTC - in response to Message 21945.
Last modified: 3 Sep 2004, 19:48:28 UTC

> So many EXPERTS, so little help.....;o)

I'm sure much help would be offered if its asked for.

Profile Howard R. Nelson
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 24 Dec 03
Posts: 143
Credit: 170,747
RAC: 0
United States
Message 21973 - Posted: 3 Sep 2004, 19:53:24 UTC

AHH Quit yer Belly-akin & Just Crunch something else for awhile... ;-)

Message boards : Cafe SETI : This sux.... get the stuff online and working, ffs

Copyright © 2014 University of California