Orwell Today

Message boards : Politics : Orwell Today
Message board moderation

To post messages, you must log in.

Previous · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

AuthorMessage
Profile BrainSmashR
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 7 Apr 02
Posts: 1772
Credit: 384,573
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745022 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 15:00:09 UTC - in response to Message 744998.  

BrainSmasher Wrote
"Some of us consider freedom of speech to be a pretty BIG difference."

So just what do you consider "Freedom of Speech" ???

Just try publically saying anything that somebody (even just one person) can consider sexist, racist, homophobic, anti religion (any flavour), pro abortion, anti abortion, anti global warming, pro nuclear energy, anti war, pro war etc. etc. and you risk a law suit or being hauled before some semi government Commission or Tribunal. You may also suffer a concerted media attack of the ferocity once reserved for mass murderers and serial child molesters.

If your sole criteria for "Freedom of Speech" is being able to criticise your country's leaders then you have a very narrow definition and a very narrow world view. As I stated before, some of the clauses in the various "anti-terrorism" acts definitely limit our "Freedom of Speech" as much Saddam ever did in Iraq

Brodo
PS. I liked your old avatar better :-)


The old cliche "Your rights end where mine begin" pretty much sums up my stance on this issue.

Protest the war...but don't stand in the street blocking traffic.

Hate abortion all you want...don't harass/murder the patrons or employees of a business

Talk about your coworkers various body parts all day long...but don't make his/her work environment needlessly uncomfortable.


We can delve into specifics if you want, but life in small town America is mostly unchanged in the post 9/11 world...


ID: 745022 · Report as offensive
Profile Scary Capitalist
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 May 01
Posts: 7404
Credit: 97,085
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745033 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 15:29:19 UTC - in response to Message 744998.  

BrainSmasher Wrote
"Some of us consider freedom of speech to be a pretty BIG difference."

So just what do you consider "Freedom of Speech" ???

Just try publically saying anything that somebody (even just one person) can consider sexist, racist, homophobic, anti religion (any flavour), pro abortion, anti abortion, anti global warming, pro nuclear energy, anti war, pro war etc. etc. and you risk a law suit or being hauled before some semi government Commission or Tribunal. You may also suffer a concerted media attack of the ferocity once reserved for mass murderers and serial child molesters.

If your sole criteria for "Freedom of Speech" is being able to criticise your country's leaders then you have a very narrow definition and a very narrow world view. As I stated before, some of the clauses in the various "anti-terrorism" acts definitely limit our "Freedom of Speech" as much Saddam ever did in Iraq

Brodo
PS. I liked your old avatar better :-)

Exactly. You are here making a positive argument FOR free speech as an ideal. You're not arguing AGAINST it......Can you tell the difference?
Founder of BOINC team Objectivists. Oh the humanity! Rational people crunching data!
I did NOT authorize this belly writing!

ID: 745033 · Report as offensive
Profile Scary Capitalist
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 May 01
Posts: 7404
Credit: 97,085
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745036 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 15:32:07 UTC - in response to Message 744750.  


I agree.....the doctrine you espouse requires the common man to NOT think

Quite the opposite, buddy. i never condoned anyone who tried to tell the people what to think.
On the other hand - You don't know what DOCTRINE if any I really "espouse".

I don't like liars. I know the doctrine of what you propose. Like I said, I've been reading your posts for almost 2 years. Do you want to call me stupid?
Founder of BOINC team Objectivists. Oh the humanity! Rational people crunching data!
I did NOT authorize this belly writing!

ID: 745036 · Report as offensive
Profile Dr. C.E.T.I.
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 29 Feb 00
Posts: 16019
Credit: 794,685
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745038 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 15:44:06 UTC

ID: 745038 · Report as offensive
Profile Scary Capitalist
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 May 01
Posts: 7404
Credit: 97,085
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745044 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 16:22:10 UTC - in response to Message 745038.  



. . . Every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word


. . . Thought Police & Snitches: They could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to



All the more reason to come over to my side, Richard. heheee.

I don't have a clue what you post about 90% of the time. The other 10% makes a little bit of sense
Founder of BOINC team Objectivists. Oh the humanity! Rational people crunching data!
I did NOT authorize this belly writing!

ID: 745044 · Report as offensive
Profile thorin belvrog
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 29 Sep 06
Posts: 6418
Credit: 8,893
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 745232 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 22:34:15 UTC - in response to Message 745036.  


I agree.....the doctrine you espouse requires the common man to NOT think

Quite the opposite, buddy. i never condoned anyone who tried to tell the people what to think.
On the other hand - You don't know what DOCTRINE if any I really "espouse".

I don't like liars. I know the doctrine of what you propose. Like I said, I've been reading your posts for almost 2 years. Do you want to call me stupid?

No I don't, because this would be rude and an inappropriate generalization.
Account frozen...
ID: 745232 · Report as offensive
Profile Scary Capitalist
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 May 01
Posts: 7404
Credit: 97,085
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745249 - Posted: 27 Apr 2008, 23:18:49 UTC - in response to Message 745232.  
Last modified: 27 Apr 2008, 23:19:51 UTC


I agree.....the doctrine you espouse requires the common man to NOT think

Quite the opposite, buddy. i never condoned anyone who tried to tell the people what to think.
On the other hand - You don't know what DOCTRINE if any I really "espouse".

I don't like liars. I know the doctrine of what you propose. Like I said, I've been reading your posts for almost 2 years. Do you want to call me stupid?

No I don't, because this would be rude and an inappropriate generalization.

Even your response to that question betrays your claim to intellectual honesty. Please reread what you post.
Founder of BOINC team Objectivists. Oh the humanity! Rational people crunching data!
I did NOT authorize this belly writing!

ID: 745249 · Report as offensive
Profile Dr. C.E.T.I.
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 29 Feb 00
Posts: 16019
Credit: 794,685
RAC: 0
United States
Message 745285 - Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 0:25:27 UTC - in response to Message 745044.  



. . . Every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word


. . . Thought Police & Snitches: They could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to



All the more reason to come over to my side, Richard. heheee.

I don't have a clue what you post about 90% of the time. The other 10% makes a little bit of sense



. . . rb - just 'simply' click on the Link above - the long one

and then maybe look @ the Title to THIS Thread - that'll give You a clue Sir


BOINC Wiki . . .

Science Status Page . . .
ID: 745285 · Report as offensive
Profile thorin belvrog
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 29 Sep 06
Posts: 6418
Credit: 8,893
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 745298 - Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 0:57:21 UTC - in response to Message 745285.  



. . . Every record of everything you had ever done was wiped out, your one-time existence was denied and then forgotten. You were abolished, annihilated: vaporized was the usual word


. . . Thought Police & Snitches: They could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to



All the more reason to come over to my side, Richard. heheee.

I don't have a clue what you post about 90% of the time. The other 10% makes a little bit of sense



. . . rb - just 'simply' click on the Link above - the long one

and then maybe look @ the Title to THIS Thread - that'll give You a clue Sir


Pretty interesting page (with pretty interesting links)! :)

Account frozen...
ID: 745298 · Report as offensive
Profile Jeffrey
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 Nov 03
Posts: 4793
Credit: 26,029
RAC: 0
Message 745340 - Posted: 28 Apr 2008, 2:55:33 UTC - in response to Message 745298.  

Pretty interesting page (with pretty interesting links)!

This one really hits home:

TERRORIST means DISSIDENT... ;)

It may not be 1984 but George Orwell sure did see the future . . .
ID: 745340 · Report as offensive
Profile Jon (nanoreid)
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 16 Aug 07
Posts: 643
Credit: 583,870
RAC: 0
United States
Message 746525 - Posted: 1 May 2008, 14:09:45 UTC

is spinning in his grave.
Hopefully the cosmos is not trying to reverse the charges.
Moderation in all things.
ID: 746525 · Report as offensive
Profile Jeffrey
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 Nov 03
Posts: 4793
Credit: 26,029
RAC: 0
Message 763907 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 3:23:10 UTC

bump

bump

bump... ;)
It may not be 1984 but George Orwell sure did see the future . . .
ID: 763907 · Report as offensive
Profile Es99
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 23 Aug 05
Posts: 10874
Credit: 350,402
RAC: 0
Canada
Message 763973 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 7:20:27 UTC - in response to Message 745340.  

Pretty interesting page (with pretty interesting links)!

This one really hits home:

TERRORIST means DISSIDENT... ;)

Yes...but they don't want to know. I don't understand why so many are so keen to give up their freedom for safety against a manufactured threat.

Do you know that we were more at danger, more at threat and had more attacks against us from the IRA than we have had from this so called muslim threat..yet the climate of fear created is far worse and has been used to drive through legislation that destroys the lives of the innocent as well of the guilty?
Reality Internet Personality
ID: 763973 · Report as offensive
Profile Jeffrey
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 21 Nov 03
Posts: 4793
Credit: 26,029
RAC: 0
Message 764048 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 11:24:37 UTC - in response to Message 763973.  

Yes...but they don't want to know. I don't understand why [snip]

If they play along, they get to live... If they don't play along, they get to die... ;)

(Anyone else notice that Bin Laden has retired from the 'scary video' business? Yea, I didn't think so.)
It may not be 1984 but George Orwell sure did see the future . . .
ID: 764048 · Report as offensive
Profile BrainSmashR
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 7 Apr 02
Posts: 1772
Credit: 384,573
RAC: 0
United States
Message 764052 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 11:25:36 UTC - in response to Message 763973.  


Yes...but they don't want to know. I don't understand why so many are so keen to give up their freedom for safety against a manufactured threat.


It's been my experience that users on this forum who utilize the above "excuse" tend the avoid my follow-up question, but I'll ask again anyway.


Exactly what freedom(s) have you given up?


ID: 764052 · Report as offensive
Profile Es99
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 23 Aug 05
Posts: 10874
Credit: 350,402
RAC: 0
Canada
Message 764086 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 12:11:22 UTC - in response to Message 764052.  


Yes...but they don't want to know. I don't understand why so many are so keen to give up their freedom for safety against a manufactured threat.


It's been my experience that users on this forum who utilize the above "excuse" tend the avoid my follow-up question, but I'll ask again anyway.


Exactly what freedom(s) have you given up?

My freedom to not be held without a charge if I am arrested. My freedom to a jury. My freedom to know what crime i have been accused of. My freedom to not be removed from my country and locked up in another indefinitely on SUSPICION of a crime (evidence does not even factor). My freedom to have to privacy. My freedom of speech. My freedom to move about the world...the list goes on.
Reality Internet Personality
ID: 764086 · Report as offensive
Profile BrainSmashR
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 7 Apr 02
Posts: 1772
Credit: 384,573
RAC: 0
United States
Message 764269 - Posted: 7 Jun 2008, 17:30:26 UTC - in response to Message 764086.  
Last modified: 7 Jun 2008, 17:33:57 UTC


My freedom to not be held without a charge if I am arrested.


In America, ANYONE can be detained without being charged with a crime. Your ignorance of the law doesn't make it a lost freedom.

My freedom to a jury

When were you denied a jury?

My freedom to know what crime i have been accused of.

At what point were you arrested, and held without being charged with a crime.

My freedom to not be removed from my country and locked up in another indefinitely on SUSPICION of a crime (evidence does not even factor).

LOL

Living in a country does not make one a citizen of that country

My freedom to have to privacy.


The phone company is not bound by your right to privacy and therefore can legally do with their resources, which may include you phone records, as they see fit.


My freedom of speech.

I think it's obvious to everyone here that your freedom of speech has not been suppressed by any member of the government.
My freedom to move about the world...the list goes on.


Sorry, but you never had the right to enter another country when, where, or how you wished.


ID: 764269 · Report as offensive
Previous · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4

Message boards : Politics : Orwell Today


 
©2022 University of California
 
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.