Disappearing WU's and incorrect stderr_txt message

Questions and Answers : Unix/Linux : Disappearing WU's and incorrect stderr_txt message
Message board moderation

To post messages, you must log in.

Steve W

Send message
Joined: 23 Oct 00
Posts: 2
Credit: 14,476
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 4432 - Posted: 5 Jul 2004, 14:43:54 UTC
Last modified: 5 Jul 2004, 14:45:25 UTC

I have just looked at my client_state.xml file and found the following message in it.

SETI@Home Informational message -9 result_overflow
NOTE: The number of results detected exceeds the storage space allocated.


I find it hard to believe that this would be the case as I am allowing the project up to 99% of my hard disk space, which is nearly 30GB and it is using only a very small amount of that.

Can anyone explain this as this message also coincides with the rapid loss of all the cached work units in the project directory.

I did have 8 unprocessed WU's and now have none :(
ID: 4432 · Report as offensive
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 2 Jul 99
Posts: 259
Credit: 280,503
RAC: 0
United States
Message 4463 - Posted: 5 Jul 2004, 15:59:36 UTC

A -9 result overflow has nothing to do with the settings on your computer.

A work unit that generates this result simply contains a lot of noise, and if it were to try to process it, it would generate more output than the program is designed for. The "storage space" mentioned is only the storage space allocation of the software - not your hard drive.

It is normal that some results do this, and such results do process very quickly (or, better wording would be that the realize very quickly that they can't process), and they typically only run for maybe a second or two. They still ask for and receive a very small amount of credit, but as you noticed, they can empty your cache very quickly if you get a few of them in a row.

<a> [/url]
ID: 4463 · Report as offensive

Questions and Answers : Unix/Linux : Disappearing WU's and incorrect stderr_txt message

©2018 University of California
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.