Temp monitor + suspend


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Wish list : Temp monitor + suspend

Author Message
Al Reeve
Send message
Joined: 19 Jun 99
Posts: 12
Credit: 578,464
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 3828 - Posted: 3 Jul 2004, 22:55:40 UTC

As BOINC spends most of its time unmonitored it would be nice to configure it to suspend work for either a set period or between two temperature set points to improve system safety. i.e. stop generating heat before damage has the chance to start, then restart when a sfe temp is reached again.

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 3834 - Posted: 3 Jul 2004, 23:11:35 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 12:59:38 UTC

Interesting remark. At what temperature is your CPU running when crunching? My 20% overclocked P4 HT 2.4GHz is running at 45°C or 113°F when crunching 2 WU's.

This question was posted in one of the forums during the Beta test phase but apparently actual PC's should not have problems of overheating (anymore ?).

Greetings from Belgium.

Heffed
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Mar 02
Posts: 1856
Credit: 40,736
RAC: 0
United States
Message 3848 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 0:57:15 UTC - in response to Message 3834.

> This question was posted in one of the forums during the Beta test phase but
> apparently actual PC's should not have problems of overheating (anymore ?).

Yes. Your processor should shut down before any damage is done. Max limits are generally 30C or higher than full load temps. Your CPU should be more than happy running at full load constantly, with no harm done.

If you're near the "danger" zone under full load, you need to re-address your cooling situation. (whether that be additional fans, or just adjust your PCs placement to allow better ventilation)

Al Reeve
Send message
Joined: 19 Jun 99
Posts: 12
Credit: 578,464
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 3919 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 8:30:36 UTC - in response to Message 3834.

> Interesting remark. At what temperature is your CPU running when crunching? My
> 20% overclocked P4 HT 2.4GHz is running at 45°C or 113°F when crunching 2
> WU's.
>
> This question was posted in one of the forums during the Beta test phase but
> apparently actual PC's should not have problems of overheating (anymore ?).
>
P4 HT (not active while I sort out other probs) 3.0GHz sits between 47 and 50 unless we have a very warm spell, like last month and the whole room goes +8 more than normal, then it hits 54. But just what is a "safe temp"? I've tried Intels site and there is lots of data about how to measure the temp, but I couldn't find a normal full load temp or max safe temp. The reported core temp stays pretty static at 79.5 - 71.5.

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 3928 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 9:23:35 UTC - in response to Message 3919.
Last modified: 4 Jul 2004, 9:34:10 UTC

> P4 HT (not active while I sort out other probs) 3.0GHz sits between 47 and 50
> unless we have a very warm spell, like last month and the whole room goes +8
> more than normal, then it hits 54. But just what is a "safe temp"? I've
> tried Intels site and there is lots of data about how to measure the temp, but
> I couldn't find a normal full load temp or max safe temp. The reported core
> temp stays pretty static at 79.5 - 71.5.

For a 3.0GHZ, the maximum temperature should be in the range of 70°C. You can have a look here.
If your CPU goes higher, one of the things you can do first is looking if you have any dust on the heatsink. If a lot of dust is present, this can higher the temperature by a lot of degrees.
Another good approach is using thermal cooling compound.
What is helping also is using an extra fan in order to blow fresh air inside the case and get the warm air out of the case.
Another improvement can be changing the CPU cooler as there is a lot of difference in the performance comparing one cooler against another.

Al Reeve
Send message
Joined: 19 Jun 99
Posts: 12
Credit: 578,464
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 3952 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 10:21:49 UTC - in response to Message 3928.


>
> For a 3.0GHZ, the maximum temperature should be in the range of 70°C. You can
> have a look <a> href="http://www.intel.com/support/processors/pentium4/sb/cs-007999.htm#Specifications">here[/url].

That's not what it says. The 70C is the max case temp with 38C being the max fan inlet temp "the testing point is at the center of the fan hub, approximately 0.3 inches above the fan". I'm well within these, and the stock heatsink / fan is designed to keep the CPU within spec at max load within these parameters. Nowhere though does it actually say what the max temp measured with the onboard diode should be. Lots of stuff about how to use and calibrate it but nothing about allowable temps.

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 3973 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 12:19:03 UTC - in response to Message 3952.

> That's not what it says.

Yes, you are right. Anyway, the temperature at full load is definitely at the very high end. Normally, it should be possible to obtain a range of 60°C.

>P4 HT (not active while I sort out other probs) 3.0GHz sits between 47 and 50

If your CPU is already at this temperature without any load, this indicates one of the following things:
1. too low air flow inside the case,
2. too poor cooling due to either dust on the heatsink, too high thermal resistance between CPU and heatsink or inadequate cooler.

Al Reeve
Send message
Joined: 19 Jun 99
Posts: 12
Credit: 578,464
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 3999 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 14:13:24 UTC - in response to Message 3973.

>
> >P4 HT (not active while I sort out other probs) 3.0GHz sits between 47 and
> 50
Sorry, that wasn't clear. The HT is off, ie single processor and the temp is at full load for that. I get similar temps with HT on and two SETIs running.

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 4009 - Posted: 4 Jul 2004, 14:35:35 UTC - in response to Message 3999.

> Sorry, that wasn't clear. The HT is off, ie single processor and the temp is
> at full load for that. I get similar temps with HT on and two SETIs running.

So, if you are at full load at roughly 50°C, that should not be a problem. Even turning HT on would be OK.

Questions and Answers : Wish list : Temp monitor + suspend

Copyright © 2014 University of California