Date format changed in Workunit reports


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Date format changed in Workunit reports

Author Message
alan
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 18 Feb 00
Posts: 131
Credit: 401,606
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 1326005 - Posted: 9 Jan 2013, 8:37:52 UTC
Last modified: 9 Jan 2013, 8:55:57 UTC

The date format used to be

22 Feb 2013 | 16:05:47 UTC

As of today it's changed to

9 Jan 2013, 8:19:19 UTC

Both are text strings, but the new one is harder to convert back into a date value - instead of simply taking the leftmost 11 characters, I now need to detect the comma. I wonder if it's possible to either introduce the leading zero or shift the comma right by one space, so I can continue to use the formula I have in Excel to extract the data value, and if so who would I ask? I know it isn't of earth-shattering importance, but it would be slightly nicer if the reporting format stayed consistent.
____________

Profile HAL9000
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 11 Sep 99
Posts: 4246
Credit: 116,008,302
RAC: 131,793
United States
Message 1326060 - Posted: 9 Jan 2013, 14:14:09 UTC - in response to Message 1326005.

The date format used to be

22 Feb 2013 | 16:05:47 UTC

As of today it's changed to

9 Jan 2013, 8:19:19 UTC

Both are text strings, but the new one is harder to convert back into a date value - instead of simply taking the leftmost 11 characters, I now need to detect the comma. I wonder if it's possible to either introduce the leading zero or shift the comma right by one space, so I can continue to use the formula I have in Excel to extract the data value, and if so who would I ask? I know it isn't of earth-shattering importance, but it would be slightly nicer if the reporting format stayed consistent.

The good thing about standards there are so many to choose.
Personally I would prefer the date time format to be YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. So they would read "2013-01-09 08:19:19".
If you are doing things in excel you could just do a replace matching "2013," to "2013 ," which would fix your formatting issues.
____________
SETI@home classic workunits: 93,865 CPU time: 863,447 hours

Join the BP6/VP6 User Group today!

Richard HaselgroveProject donor
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 4 Jul 99
Posts: 8551
Credit: 50,461,155
RAC: 51,373
United Kingdom
Message 1326108 - Posted: 9 Jan 2013, 17:18:28 UTC - in response to Message 1326060.

The date format used to be

22 Feb 2013 | 16:05:47 UTC

As of today it's changed to

9 Jan 2013, 8:19:19 UTC

Both are text strings, but the new one is harder to convert back into a date value - instead of simply taking the leftmost 11 characters, I now need to detect the comma. I wonder if it's possible to either introduce the leading zero or shift the comma right by one space, so I can continue to use the formula I have in Excel to extract the data value, and if so who would I ask? I know it isn't of earth-shattering importance, but it would be slightly nicer if the reporting format stayed consistent.

The good thing about standards there are so many to choose.
Personally I would prefer the date time format to be YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS. So they would read "2013-01-09 08:19:19".
If you are doing things in excel you could just do a replace matching "2013," to "2013 ," which would fix your formatting issues.

In Excel, I've been using (via a macro) 'replace with nothing' for both | and UTC: that leaves a value which Excel itself recognises as a DateTime value which can be formatted and used in calculations.

Message boards : Number crunching : Date format changed in Workunit reports

Copyright © 2014 University of California