Boinc 4.09 and Win98SE Problem?

Message boards : Number crunching : Boinc 4.09 and Win98SE Problem?

To post messages, you must log in.

AuthorMessage
Astro
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 16 Apr 02
Posts: 8026
Credit: 600,015
RAC: 0
Message 28220 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 1:13:03 UTC

I am attached to both Seti and LHCathome. I have my resources set to 80/20. This puter is a P3 500mhz HP running Win98SE sp2. This puter froze up with 4.05 and 4.08. It was working (kind of) with 4.06. I'm upgraded to 4.09 when it was officially released. It appeared to run perfectly the first few days. Then today I looked at the screen and saw it running seti. The cpu clock and completion time were functioning normally. The strange part is that the LHC work unit was reporting "Paused" yet the CPU clock time was counting up and so was the "to completion clock". I shut down the Boinc program and restarted it. Then things seem to be back to normal.

Oh yeah, both projects were advancing in "Progress".

I hope it's the fault of my old machine, but thought I'd at least get this out there in case others have seen the same.
<img><img><img>

ID: 28220 · Report as offensive
SURVEYOR
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 19 Oct 02
Posts: 375
Credit: 608,422
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28259 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 5:26:48 UTC
Last modified: 20 Sep 2004, 5:28:02 UTC

Win Xp SP 1 Boinc Version 4.09
The "Cpu time", "Progres" and "time to complete" stoped for the Paused wu's.
I had six at one time in the paused mode.
P4 HT

Fred BOINC Alpha & BOINC Beta Tester

ID: 28259 · Report as offensive
Profile Paul D. Buck
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 19 Jul 00
Posts: 3898
Credit: 1,158,042
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28287 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 9:15:29 UTC - in response to Message 28259.

> Win Xp SP 1 Boinc Version 4.09
> The "Cpu time", "Progres" and "time to complete" stoped for the Paused wu's.
> I had six at one time in the paused mode.
> P4 HT

This seems to be a rather common error on the part of the BOINC Work Manager. When it decides to change projects, the selection of the work unit to restart is somewhat random. In my case I have seen it working on a WU which has only 2% done when there is one that is in the high 90% ... very annoying.

What should be happening is that when it restarts work on a project it should select the WU with the most processing done, and only if there are none available to start work on a new work unit. WIth multiple processors of course you have the complication of the fact that you can have "n" WU in progress where "n" equals the number of in work WUs.
<p>
For BOINC Documentaion: Click Me!


ID: 28287 · Report as offensive
Astro
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 16 Apr 02
Posts: 8026
Credit: 600,015
RAC: 0
Message 28447 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 20:06:03 UTC - in response to Message 28220.

> I am attached to both Seti and LHCathome. I have my resources set to 80/20.
> This puter is a P3 500mhz HP running Win98SE sp2. This puter froze up with
> 4.05 and 4.08. It was working (kind of) with 4.06. I'm upgraded to 4.09 when
> it was officially released. It appeared to run perfectly the first few days.
> Then today I looked at the screen and saw it running seti. The cpu clock and
> completion time were functioning normally. The strange part is that the LHC
> work unit was reporting "Paused" yet the CPU clock time was counting up and so
> was the "to completion clock". I shut down the Boinc program and restarted
> it. Then things seem to be back to normal.
>
> Oh yeah, both projects were advancing in "Progress".
>
> I hope it's the fault of my old machine, but thought I'd at least get this out
> there in case others have seen the same.
It's happened yet again today. Hmmm

ID: 28447 · Report as offensive
Profile Darrell
Volunteer tester

Send message
Joined: 14 Mar 03
Posts: 71
Credit: 881,923
RAC: 785
United States
Message 28522 - Posted: 21 Sep 2004, 1:52:36 UTC

It is a bug in the 4.x series as long as you have the preference "Leave apps in memory" set to on. The paused units cpu time and completion time will continue to increase even though no actual work is getting done. All this results in is just an excessively long completion time and an excessive credit request. If the increase in cpu time for paused units bothers you, then just set that preference to off.

ID: 28522 · Report as offensive
Astro
Volunteer tester
Avatar

Send message
Joined: 16 Apr 02
Posts: 8026
Credit: 600,015
RAC: 0
Message 28530 - Posted: 21 Sep 2004, 2:59:29 UTC - in response to Message 28522.

> It is a bug in the 4.x series as long as you have the preference "Leave apps
> in memory" set to on. The paused units cpu time and completion time will
> continue to increase even though no actual work is getting done. All this
> results in is just an excessively long completion time and an excessive credit
> request. If the increase in cpu time for paused units bothers you, then just
> set that preference to off.
>
Thanks Darrell

ID: 28530 · Report as offensive

Message boards : Number crunching : Boinc 4.09 and Win98SE Problem?


 
©2016 University of California
 
SETI@home and Astropulse are funded by grants from the National Science Foundation, NASA, and donations from SETI@home volunteers. AstroPulse is funded in part by the NSF through grant AST-0307956.