Re: Information about the Lattice Project


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : Re: Information about the Lattice Project

Author Message
Adam
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 1
Credit: 0
RAC: 0
United States
Message 24157 - Posted: 9 Sep 2004, 17:40:32 UTC
Last modified: 9 Sep 2004, 17:41:19 UTC

The Lattice Project is a collaborative Grid computing effort at the University of Maryland. We are working to integrate and deploy computing resources, grid middleware of various flavors, specialized scientific application software and semantic Web services in a comprehensive Grid system for scientific analysis. We are using BOINC as a key Grid resource in this system. In other words, the BOINC desktop grid will be responsible for doing a large part of the computing, but other traditional computing resources (such as University clusters) will also be targeted. We are in the process of restructuring our website with more publicly available information. Please check back shortly. We are also planning to create a FAQ page compiled from your questions about the project. It's been nice to see the enthusiasm from the distributed computing community. Currently the project is in an active development and testing phase. When testing has finished we will open up the project for participation, provide more detailed information regarding the project, and invite participation from the community.

Sincerely,
the Lattice Team
http://lattice.umiacs.umd.edu/

Pascal, K G
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2343
Credit: 150,491
RAC: 0
United States
Message 24161 - Posted: 9 Sep 2004, 17:56:21 UTC

All right more projects !!!!!!!
When Asking for help, please post the following;
Type of PC
How much memory
Type of Operating System
Type of connection to Internet
Projects You are Running
Version of BOINC

M7 Seti@h Berkeley's Staff Friends Club ©

ChinookFoehn
Send message
Joined: 18 Apr 02
Posts: 462
Credit: 24,039
RAC: 0
Message 24174 - Posted: 9 Sep 2004, 18:52:12 UTC - in response to Message 24157.
Last modified: 18 Dec 2004, 6:27:10 UTC

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24064
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 24337 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 3:31:49 UTC - in response to Message 24157.

> The Lattice Project is a collaborative Grid computing effort at the University
> of Maryland. We are working to integrate and deploy computing resources, grid
> middleware of various flavors, specialized scientific application software and
> semantic Web services in a comprehensive Grid system for scientific analysis.
> We are using BOINC as a key Grid resource in this system. In other words, the
> BOINC desktop grid will be responsible for doing a large part of the
> computing, but other traditional computing resources (such as University
> clusters) will also be targeted. We are in the process of restructuring our
> website with more publicly available information. Please check back shortly.
> We are also planning to create a FAQ page compiled from your questions about
> the project. It's been nice to see the enthusiasm from the distributed
> computing community. Currently the project is in an active development and
> testing phase. When testing has finished we will open up the project for
> participation, provide more detailed information regarding the project, and
> invite participation from the community.
>
> Sincerely,
> the Lattice Team
> http://lattice.umiacs.umd.edu/
>
Will there be more than one project using the lattice? If so, will there be a mechanism for the BOINC users to choose which projects that work on? Some users will not for various reasons crunch for a particular project. For example, if it is for profit, many think that they should buy their own computers. There may be moral reasons, if it could be used for something like weaponry.

Profile Razorirr
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 92
Credit: 7,414
RAC: 0
United States
Message 24357 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 4:07:20 UTC - in response to Message 24337.

> > The Lattice Project is a collaborative Grid computing effort at the
> University
> > of Maryland. We are working to integrate and deploy computing resources,
> grid
> > middleware of various flavors, specialized scientific application
> software and
> > semantic Web services in a comprehensive Grid system for scientific
> analysis.
> > We are using BOINC as a key Grid resource in this system. In other
> words, the
> > BOINC desktop grid will be responsible for doing a large part of the
> > computing, but other traditional computing resources (such as University
> > clusters) will also be targeted. We are in the process of restructuring
> our
> > website with more publicly available information. Please check back
> shortly.
> > We are also planning to create a FAQ page compiled from your questions
> about
> > the project. It's been nice to see the enthusiasm from the distributed
> > computing community. Currently the project is in an active development
> and
> > testing phase. When testing has finished we will open up the project for
> > participation, provide more detailed information regarding the project,
> and
> > invite participation from the community.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > the Lattice Team
> > http://lattice.umiacs.umd.edu/
> >
> Will there be more than one project using the lattice? If so, will there be a
> mechanism for the BOINC users to choose which projects that work on? Some
> users will not for various reasons crunch for a particular project. For
> example, if it is for profit, many think that they should buy their own
> computers. There may be moral reasons, if it could be used for something like
> weaponry.
> <a> href="http://www.boinc.dk/index.php?page=user_statistics&project=cpdn&userid=13">
>
that would be funny yet crazy at the same time. figure out the biology project you were working with was making the super flu from stephen kings the stand or something

ChinookFoehn
Send message
Joined: 18 Apr 02
Posts: 462
Credit: 24,039
RAC: 0
Message 24365 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 4:17:32 UTC - in response to Message 24337.
Last modified: 18 Dec 2004, 6:27:24 UTC

B-Roy
Send message
Joined: 4 May 03
Posts: 220
Credit: 168,012
RAC: 18
Austria
Message 24446 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 9:07:24 UTC

thx for the info Adam.
A short message here or on the boinc page would be nice, as soon as you are distributing work.

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24064
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 24593 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 16:25:12 UTC - in response to Message 24365.

>
> > Will there be more than one project using the lattice? If so, will there
> be a
> > mechanism for the BOINC users to choose which projects that work on?
> Some
> > users will not for various reasons crunch for a particular project. For
> > example, if it is for profit, many think that they should buy their own
> > computers. There may be moral reasons, if it could be used for something
> like
> > weaponry.
>
> Look at this link (assuming the web-site does not change):
>
> http://lattice.umiacs.umd.edu/gridservices.php
>
> -H. Richard Utzig
>
>
It still does not answer my question whether the separate projects will be separate BOINC projects.

ChinookFoehn
Send message
Joined: 18 Apr 02
Posts: 462
Credit: 24,039
RAC: 0
Message 24630 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 18:03:06 UTC - in response to Message 24593.
Last modified: 18 Dec 2004, 6:27:45 UTC

Belial
Send message
Joined: 22 Jan 02
Posts: 47
Credit: 63,100
RAC: 0
United States
Message 24921 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 3:01:35 UTC
Last modified: 11 Sep 2004, 3:14:14 UTC

Seems like projects for life sciences.



Not really a field of study noted for being a heavy users of computer power...not like the hard sciences at least like astronomy, math, physics, chemistry/genetics, etc....



Just about all of the hard sciences have application for WAR...you just can't avoid it. We can thank much of our science involving space exploration to military reasons...and the very radar/radio receivers used to search the heavens for alien life probably owes as much to reasearch for military uses as anything else. While you many say they don't want to participate in anything that could be usefull for military applications...the real truth is that any research done in any field can and will be applied to the military.


For profit research is another funny area people don't like. But the real truth here is that any project that makes their data public will eventually set the wheels in motion for someone to make a profit from it.


If your worried about stuff like this...your better off not contributing to ANY project. If it's a project that is going to find something usefull...it's going to be exploited by business or the military.

ChinookFoehn
Send message
Joined: 18 Apr 02
Posts: 462
Credit: 24,039
RAC: 0
Message 24933 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 3:25:28 UTC - in response to Message 24921.
Last modified: 18 Dec 2004, 6:27:58 UTC

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24064
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 24942 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 3:55:13 UTC

From what I can understand of the FAQ, there will be one BOINC project with several applications (like Predictor has MFold and Charmm). This may drive away some of the potential users.

Profile Paul D. Buck
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Jul 00
Posts: 3898
Credit: 1,158,042
RAC: 0
United States
Message 25043 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 10:11:51 UTC - in response to Message 24337.

> Will there be more than one project using the lattice? If so, will there be a
> mechanism for the BOINC users to choose which projects that work on? Some
> users will not for various reasons crunch for a particular project. For
> example, if it is for profit, many think that they should buy their own
> computers. There may be moral reasons, if it could be used for something like
> weaponry.

This is an area where I personnally was concerned about Astropulse as being a separate project and I believe the plans are to still have it as an integrated part of SETI@Home. Hopefully, we will be getting finer grain control over the aspects of the projects so that we can join a project and yet be able to decide on which sub-parts we will be involved with.

For example, I may think that SETI@Home is a complete waste, but want to participate in AP, as it is now (or planned) I do not have a choice. It is all or none. I would much prefer to be able to be more selective.

But it is still early days, and we can continue to ask for sub-project controls. I mean, Janus just gave us this new set of tools ... of course, you know why he did it, right?

That is it, He wanted to increase *MY* work!

The Bum!

:)

Actually, I don't mind ... I don't get paid for it ...
<p>
Click Me!


B-Roy
Send message
Joined: 4 May 03
Posts: 220
Credit: 168,012
RAC: 18
Austria
Message 25087 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 13:14:55 UTC

*out of topic*
@paul&john: where did you get these multi-project signatures from, or what is the html-text for them? thx in advance for a reply.

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24064
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 25224 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 19:40:03 UTC - in response to Message 25087.

> *out of topic*
> @paul&john: where did you get these multi-project signatures from, or what
> is the html-text for them? thx in advance for a reply.

http://www.boinc.dk/

John McLeod VII
Volunteer developer
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 15 Jul 99
Posts: 24064
Credit: 516,970
RAC: 133
United States
Message 25226 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 19:41:25 UTC - in response to Message 25043.

> This is an area where I personnally was concerned about Astropulse as being a
> separate project and I believe the plans are to still have it as an integrated
> part of SETI@Home. Hopefully, we will be getting finer grain control over the
> aspects of the projects so that we can join a project and yet be able to
> decide on which sub-parts we will be involved with.
>
> For example, I may think that SETI@Home is a complete waste, but want to
> participate in AP, as it is now (or planned) I do not have a choice. It is
> all or none. I would much prefer to be able to be more selective.

I asked this once upon a time during Beta (or was it Alpha?), and I was assured that AP was going to be a separate project.

Profile Paul D. Buck
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Jul 00
Posts: 3898
Credit: 1,158,042
RAC: 0
United States
Message 25280 - Posted: 11 Sep 2004, 21:19:47 UTC - in response to Message 25226.

> I asked this once upon a time during Beta (or was it Alpha?), and I was
> assured that AP was going to be a separate project.

I asked too ... and I got told that it would not be... which I pointed out is not necessarily a good thing.

But I was told that the compleity would be higher to have it a separate project.

<p>
Click Me!


B-Roy
Send message
Joined: 4 May 03
Posts: 220
Credit: 168,012
RAC: 18
Austria
Message 28182 - Posted: 19 Sep 2004, 22:52:24 UTC

the lattice project's homepage seems to include a lot of infos now that are accessible without the need of a password.

Profile Keck_Komputers
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 4 Jul 99
Posts: 1575
Credit: 1,683,519
RAC: 557
United States
Message 28480 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 22:06:31 UTC - in response to Message 25280.

> > I asked this once upon a time during Beta (or was it Alpha?), and I was
> > assured that AP was going to be a separate project.
>
> I asked too ... and I got told that it would not be... which I pointed out is
> not necessarily a good thing.
>
> But I was told that the compleity would be higher to have it a separate
> project.
>
It was originally supposed to be two seperate projects. However I have seen indications that the plan has changed and AP will most likely be a part of seti@home. I still have not seen an explicit statment though, it was just implied.

John Keck -- BOINCing since 2002/12/08 --

jjhat1
Send message
Joined: 24 Apr 03
Posts: 49
Credit: 61,357
RAC: 0
United States
Message 28488 - Posted: 20 Sep 2004, 22:50:54 UTC - in response to Message 28480.


> It was originally supposed to be two seperate projects. However I have seen
> indications that the plan has changed and AP will most likely be a part of
> seti@home. I still have not seen an explicit statment though, it was just
> implied.

I dont think it would be so bad if they could have some setting under the SETI Settings where people could opt out of that application or maybe set the share between the two applications. It would add more funcinality to boinc which could be helpful to many projects.

In some far off day that I dont see anytime soon SETI will have data from other telescopes and maybe this could be used to control if people want only to crunch from one sepcific one.

This does however take some control away from the scientists to where they may not always get crunched what they want but it is only an idea.

Message boards : Number crunching : Re: Information about the Lattice Project

Copyright © 2014 University of California