Computer Location not working


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Computer Location not working

Author Message
Profile huns0004
Send message
Joined: 14 Jun 01
Posts: 46
Credit: 1,900,642
RAC: 457
United States
Message 15453 - Posted: 11 Aug 2004, 13:38:25 UTC

I am having a problem with the computer location setting. My computer set to "Work" keeps on reverting to "Home," no matter how many times I try to update it from this website. Also, when I click on "Update" in the BOINC client at work, it doesn't use the separate preferences for work, it just says it is "using your defaults." The separate preferences use to work for me, this is something that just started recently.

Profile Toby
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 26 Oct 00
Posts: 1005
Credit: 5,622,795
RAC: 0
United States
Message 16244 - Posted: 22 Aug 2004, 2:38:08 UTC

I'm having the same problem. I decided to set up some 'work' preferences which would casue the client to only cache 0.2 days worth of work so that I don't dump a bunch of work units when I want to detach a computer from a project for some reason. But I can't get my computer changed from its default location to 'work'. I would rather not change the 'home' preferences since that would change all my computers.



-------------------------------------------
- A member of The Knights Who Say NI!
Possibly the best stats site in the universe:
http://boinc-kwsn.no-ip.info

[B^S] iimotion
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 25 Nov 01
Posts: 25
Credit: 362,970
RAC: 792
Germany
Message 17857 - Posted: 26 Aug 2004, 16:28:08 UTC
Last modified: 6 Sep 2004, 15:52:04 UTC

All user profile/preferences updates between August 13th and 18th were lost due to systemcrash. It might be that you have to update your profile/preferences.

Roelof
Send message
Joined: 9 Jan 00
Posts: 9
Credit: 541,966
RAC: 122
Netherlands
Message 17955 - Posted: 26 Aug 2004, 21:35:37 UTC - in response to Message 17857.

> All user profile/preferences updates between August 13th and 18th were lost
> due to systemcrash. It might be that you have to update your
> profile/preferences.

No, it's not that. Every time you change the computer location, on your preferences-web-page for a computer, it looks like it is accepted (as you can check by updating the preferences on the client), but the next time you get the web-page, it always shows "Home" for the location.
If you change preferences, you have to set the location again, as the web-page always resets it, and also stores it if you save the changes.

Profile Jason L. Allerdings
Send message
Joined: 21 May 99
Posts: 8
Credit: 42,287
RAC: 0
United States
Message 18221 - Posted: 27 Aug 2004, 14:53:27 UTC - in response to Message 17955.

> > All user profile/preferences updates between August 13th and 18th were
> lost
> > due to systemcrash. It might be that you have to update your
> > profile/preferences.
>
> No, it's not that. Every time you change the computer location, on your
> preferences-web-page for a computer, it looks like it is accepted (as you can
> check by updating the preferences on the client), but the next time you get
> the web-page, it always shows "Home" for the location.
> If you change preferences, you have to set the location again, as the web-page
> always resets it, and also stores it if you save the changes.
>
>
>

I've noticed that it does retain the location on the computer web page until the client on that computer calls the server to upload/download and update information, then the location on the web page is reset to the home location.

Jeff
Send message
Joined: 6 Oct 99
Posts: 8
Credit: 4,570,883
RAC: 0
United States
Message 23792 - Posted: 8 Sep 2004, 18:35:55 UTC - in response to Message 16244.

> I'm having the same problem. I decided to set up some 'work' preferences
> which would casue the client to only cache 0.2 days worth of work so that I
> don't dump a bunch of work units when I want to detach a computer from a
> project for some reason. But I can't get my computer changed from its default
> location to 'work'. I would rather not change the 'home' preferences since
> that would change all my computers.

I'm also having the same problem, but even when I change the "home" preferences, the settings still don't work. In my case I'm attempting to set "Do work while computer is in use" to "no" because even at low priority BOINC is taking half of my hyperthreaded p4 away from my foreground apps.

Urban
Send message
Joined: 4 Jan 00
Posts: 26
Credit: 779,720
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 24474 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 11:07:51 UTC - in response to Message 16244.

All,

I've found a solution, better a hack for these Problem.

1. Exit the complete bionc_gui, it's a must!!!
2. edit the file client_state.xml in the BOINC installation directory.
3. go at the end and change eg. home into work save it
4. start boinc again and after an update Your Computer is set to work

Good luck
Urban

Urban
Send message
Joined: 4 Jan 00
Posts: 26
Credit: 779,720
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 24479 - Posted: 10 Sep 2004, 11:39:08 UTC - in response to Message 24474.

> All,
>
> I've found a solution, better a hack for these Problem.
>
> 1. Exit the complete bionc_gui, it's a must!!!
> 2. edit the file client_state.xml in the BOINC installation directory.
> 3. go at the end and change eg. home into work save it
> 4. start boinc again and after an update Your Computer is set to work
>
> Good luck
> Urban
>
>
I found on an other Computer that the mentioned line 3. isn't there. If Your are at the end of the file and the line

home

isn't there, then just add these one before the line



You can then store for the value home also work or school.

@the Boinc Developers/HelpDesk my guess is, that the "master" for that Value is not the WebSite it's the Client self and a change of that Value will NOT be stored there!


Urban
Send message
Joined: 4 Jan 00
Posts: 26
Credit: 779,720
RAC: 0
Germany
Message 25839 - Posted: 13 Sep 2004, 8:43:29 UTC

After I read my post I saw that the XML Commands are now hidden :-(

I replace now the with )

Here the needed line:

(host_venue)work(/host_venue)

These line should just before the Line

(/client_state)

My understanding is that only the host_venue line controls, which type the client is, the Web Settings are not passed to the client.


Questions and Answers : Preferences : Computer Location not working

Copyright © 2014 University of California