No work from project


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : No work from project

1 · 2 · Next
Author Message
Profile Shane Phillips
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 24 May 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 2,388,377
RAC: 1,101
United States
Message 9880 - Posted: 19 Jul 2004, 17:20:54 UTC
Last modified: 19 Jul 2004, 17:41:55 UTC

10 different machines with BOINC instatlled today. only ONE has recevied work in 8 hours!!!

glad to know the project is about OVER!!


SETI@home - 2004-07-19 12:38:28 - Message from server: No work available

Profile Christopher Hauber
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 10 Feb 01
Posts: 196
Credit: 71,611
RAC: 0
United States
Message 9913 - Posted: 19 Jul 2004, 18:10:31 UTC - in response to Message 9880.

Their splitter kicked out on them. Give 'em a break. Besides, since workunits are actually processed only 3 times now (with late submissions a little hazy at this point), the supply of workunits is exhausted much faster. It's been stated that it is entirely possible that in the near future there won't be any problems and enough data will still not be available for everyone to process all of the time. And I think that came from someone on the Dev Team. So sit back, relax, and let the software do its thing. No sense in getting an ulcer over it.

> 10 different machines with BOINC instatlled today. only ONE has recevied work
> in 8 hours!!!
>
> glad to know the project is about OVER!!
>
>
> SETI@home - 2004-07-19 12:38:28 - Message from server: No work available
>
>

Betting Slip
Send message
Joined: 25 Jul 00
Posts: 89
Credit: 716,008
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 9915 - Posted: 19 Jul 2004, 18:15:07 UTC - in response to Message 9913.

> Their splitter kicked out on them. Give 'em a break. Besides, since workunits
> are actually processed only 3 times now (with late submissions a little hazy
> at this point), the supply of workunits is exhausted much faster. It's been
> stated that it is entirely possible that in the near future there won't be any
> problems and enough data will still not be available for everyone to process
> all of the time. And I think that came from someone on the Dev Team. So sit
> back, relax, and let the software do its thing. No sense in getting an ulcer
> over it.
>
> > 10 different machines with BOINC instatlled today. only ONE has recevied
> work
> > in 8 hours!!!
> >
> > glad to know the project is about OVER!!
> >
> >
> > SETI@home - 2004-07-19 12:38:28 - Message from server: No work available
> >
> >
>
>

Why not run predictor while you are waiting for Seti?

http://predictor.scripps.edu/index.php


Profile tony magrathea
Send message
Joined: 10 Apr 04
Posts: 36
Credit: 131,761
RAC: 0
Australia
Message 10075 - Posted: 19 Jul 2004, 23:13:43 UTC - in response to Message 9915.

> > Their splitter kicked out on them. Give 'em a break. Besides, since
> workunits
> > are actually processed only 3 times now (with late submissions a little
> hazy
> > at this point), the supply of workunits is exhausted much faster. It's
> been
> > stated that it is entirely possible that in the near future there won't
> be any
> > problems and enough data will still not be available for everyone to
> process
> > all of the time. And I think that came from someone on the Dev Team. So
> sit
> > back, relax, and let the software do its thing. No sense in getting an
> ulcer
> > over it.
> >
> > > 10 different machines with BOINC instatlled today. only ONE has
> recevied
> > work
> > > in 8 hours!!!
> > >
> > > glad to know the project is about OVER!!
> > >
> > >
> > > SETI@home - 2004-07-19 12:38:28 - Message from server: No work
> available
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
> Why not run predictor while you are waiting for Seti?
>
> http://predictor.scripps.edu/index.php
>
>
<a> href='http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=112969'>
>

Give them a break?? NO WAY

Berkley claim to be a world leader in IT - if they can't get a simple scheduling problem fixed then they're no better than the Bullamakanka primary school as far as IT goes.

It's a scheduler problem and a resource problem - - we provide an immense resource to Berkley for nothing - all of our machines buzzing away and they pay nothing - not even respect to the providers.

We deserve the right to be kept informed and to have the amount of work required to keep our machines working to full capacity.

Every body who has a problem with "no work" should send an email directly to Berkley. Then and only then will Berkley see it is their reputation at stake and something will be done in providing enough resources.


the man from the land down under

Profile Misfit
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 21 Jun 01
Posts: 21790
Credit: 2,510,901
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10108 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 0:41:04 UTC - in response to Message 9913.

> Their splitter kicked out on them. Give 'em a break. Besides, since workunits
> are actually processed only 3 times now (with late submissions a little hazy
> at this point), the supply of workunits is exhausted much faster. It's been
> stated that it is entirely possible that in the near future there won't be any
> problems and enough data will still not be available for everyone to process
> all of the time. And I think that came from someone on the Dev Team. So sit
> back, relax, and let the software do its thing. No sense in getting an ulcer
> over it.

Does anyone know if the seti/boinc WU's going out are the exact same as the seti/classic WU's or are the classic ones coming from a different source/batch?

Profile MegaByte
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 19 Aug 99
Posts: 29
Credit: 70,949
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10116 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 0:56:05 UTC - in response to Message 10075.
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 1:12:19 UTC


> Give them a break?? NO WAY
>
> Berkley claim to be a world leader in IT - if they can't get a simple
> scheduling problem fixed then they're no better than the Bullamakanka primary
> school as far as IT goes.
>
> It's a scheduler problem and a resource problem - - we provide an immense
> resource to Berkley for nothing - all of our machines buzzing away and they
> pay nothing - not even respect to the providers.
>
> We deserve the right to be kept informed and to have the amount of work
> required to keep our machines working to full capacity.
>
> Every body who has a problem with "no work" should send an email directly to
> Berkley. Then and only then will Berkley see it is their reputation at stake
> and something will be done in providing enough resources.
>
>
> the man from the land down under
>

“It's a scheduler problem and a resource problem.”
From what I have read it's a splitter problem.

“We provide an immense resource to Berkley for nothing - all of our machines buzzing away and they pay nothing - not even respect to the providers”

Sorry I don’t share the same view on this as you.

“We deserve the right to be kept informed and to have the amount of work required to keep our machines working to full capacity.”

The BOINC web site keeps us informed much more than the classic seti@home ever did. Also on the message tab, we have messages on the status of the server/project/scheduler. This is much more than I expected when I switched over to BOINC. To be honest I was quite impressed compared to the classic seti@home.

Every bodywho has a problem with "no work" should send an email directly to Berkley. Then and only then will Berkley see it is their reputation at stake and something will be done in providing enough resources.

Personally, I don’t feel their reputation is at stake at all and I have no problem when there is “no work” available.
On the plus side, there “ARE” other resources available; folding@home, Predictor@home, along with others coming on line soon.
This is the beautiful thing about BOINC. So when there is no work available with Seti and you chose not to use BONIC to “it’s full advantage".
Please don’t blame Berkley.

No disrespect intended; But, in the future, please use the word I and not we.
You do not speak for all of us.

:^)))

Profile [B^S] MattDavis
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 11 Nov 99
Posts: 919
Credit: 608,470
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10123 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:17:26 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 1:20:48 UTC

That was well said, MegaByte, but I think you're giving many (most?) Seti@home users way too much credit.

To many (most?) Seti@home users, Seti@home doesn't seem to be about helping a non-profit, scientific organization with a large computational project. To them, Seti@home is all about enlarging their e-penis, which is acheived by maintaining a high credit count. All it is to them is a nerd pride/ego thing. When Seti@home is down, they can't get credit, and thus they get angry. These people aren't mad that the scientific ET project isn't going forward - they're mad because they aren't able to add to their credit pool.

This would also explain why the same people who scream bloody murder at the lack of work units or bugs also resist running the other projects on Boinc. As I just said, they don't support the abstract idea of helping a non-profit scientific endeavor. They simply want to increase their credit size, and running Folding@home or Predictor doesn't increase their Seti@home credit count, so they don't want to do it.

They want their Seti@home workunits, and they want them now. That's why there are countless threads and posts bemoaning the lack of work units. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like this for practical reasons (wasted electricity, etc), but many (most?) are mad simply that they can't get more credit.

I've thought this for awhile, and only now do I feel emboldened enough to say it. But, well, it's a bit embarassing. Legions of uptight computer nerds agitated because their credit number isn't increasing. If these people were really scientific-minded they would run the other Boinc projects any time Seti@home was down. But, like I said two times previously, this doesn't increase their credit count and thus doesn't help their online nerd ego pride.

Perhaps if there was a large, general Boinc credit system these superficial clowns would be more open to other projects rather than dwelling on the bugs of one project.

Before anyone gets their dorky asses in an uproar, realize I specifically said "many (most?)", and not "all Seti@home users", so if you don't fall under this category, you can shut up in advance because I'm not talking to you.

Of course, I've probably just angered lots of people. "Let the flaming begin", as they say.

Anonymous
Send message
Joined: 15 Jan 02
Posts: 307
Credit: 24,137
RAC: 0
Afghanistan
Message 10129 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:31:30 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 1:34:53 UTC

While I agree that may be the case for SOME users, but certainly not most.

If the person didn't care about SETI in the first place, then they wouldn't be running the software in the first place.

Each and every person here had to seek the software out and install it on every single machine they own/use running the software. It's an indication of wanting to do more than merely be ranked on some scoreboard......at least I think so.

MY problem is BOINC is that not only did it stop after processing only 1 WU.....but it also did something to my original SETI client. I had to uninstall both programs then reinstall the original before I could even download a new WU.

I don't even know if the WU BOINC did was uploaded back to SETI or if i just wasted my AND THEIR time/energy.
</img>

JAF
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 9 Aug 00
Posts: 289
Credit: 163,203
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10130 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:34:04 UTC

Look, there's obviously a problem getting work units. Why can't someone from the Boinc Seti team post some information that really gives one a clue if they have a chance of getting WU's, or just try again tomorrow?

With dial-up, a single phone line, and three computers, I have to manually connect each computer to try to get work. Don't give me that "switch to this or that project". I want to work this project. If there's a proem where I can't, fine. Just let me know.

I'll defend the Boinc Seti people for hardware problems, software problems, bad luck, not enough assets, whatever. But I won't defend them for not taking a few minutes to post up-to-date information concerning things like lack of WU's.

Profile Rookie_69
Send message
Joined: 29 May 03
Posts: 86
Credit: 2,485,712
RAC: 63
Canada
Message 10132 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:38:46 UTC

Don't feed them cheese; let them drown in their whine:-)
Personally, I find this "no work" a relief. In the northern hemisphere, it's currently the middle of summer and with three machines 2Ghz and over, I have a hard time keeping this room below 30C when they are going full-out. "No work" means that maybe I can get some sleep tonight.
This project is still in it's infancy. Of course it's going to stumble a little bit before it can run properly. I'm sure that most of their resources are still on the original S@H. If you need a S@H fix, you can always go back to it. I run it when I don't get any work for the new one. In fact, it's running on two machines right now.
This is not a flame or a gripe or a whine, just a tired old phart rambling.

Profile [B^S] MattDavis
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 11 Nov 99
Posts: 919
Credit: 608,470
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10136 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:44:53 UTC - in response to Message 10129.


> If the person didn't care about SETI in the first place, then they wouldn't be
> running the software in the first place.
>

The distinction I was trying to make is that while some people run Seti@home because they're interested in the science, some people run it simply for creidts. It's a big crunching contest for these people.

Profile [B^S] MattDavis
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 11 Nov 99
Posts: 919
Credit: 608,470
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10137 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:48:37 UTC - in response to Message 10130.
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 1:49:54 UTC

Don't give me that "switch to this
> or that project". I want to work this project.
>

I completely understand that mindset. I also only want to work for Seti@home, and it's the only project my Boinc is attatched to.

However, people who make the voluntary decision to stay a solo-Seti@home cruncher need to accept the hard realities of life - it's a beta, and it has bugs. As such, when their computer sits idle for lack of work, it's a result of THEIR decision to stay commited to only Seti@home, a buggy project with limited work units, NOT the fault of the Seti@home people.

EclipseHA
Send message
Joined: 28 Jul 99
Posts: 1018
Credit: 239,655
RAC: 114
United States
Message 10140 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 1:57:46 UTC - in response to Message 10137.
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 1:58:45 UTC

> it's a beta, and it has
> bugs.

UCB released it from beta on 6/22 when this site went live. This isn't a beta. It was in beta for over a year.

(yes, I was a beta tester)(and yes, it still sucked on 6/22)

Profile [B^S] MattDavis
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 11 Nov 99
Posts: 919
Credit: 608,470
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10141 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 2:00:28 UTC

I don't know why I typed beta. Brain lapse perhaps? Allow me to rephrase.

"However, people who make the voluntary decision to stay a solo-Seti@home cruncher need to accept the hard realities of life - it has bugs. As such, when their computer sits idle for lack of work, it's a result of THEIR decision to stay commited to a buggy project with limited work units, NOT the fault of the Seti@home people."

SURVEYOR
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Oct 02
Posts: 375
Credit: 608,422
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10146 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 2:10:09 UTC

Boinc and SAH has gone live, but I think the server is in preALPHA state.

Fred BOINC Alpha & BOINC Beta Tester

Underground Tech
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 4 Jan 00
Posts: 50
Credit: 14,579
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10151 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 2:36:52 UTC - in response to Message 10136.

>
> > If the person didn't care about SETI in the first place, then they
> wouldn't be
> > running the software in the first place.
> >
>
> The distinction I was trying to make is that while some people run Seti@home
> because they're interested in the science, some people run it simply for
> creidts. It's a big crunching contest for these people.
>
>
Yes, crunching contest;-)

Who cares about little green men.



Ingleside
Volunteer developer
Send message
Joined: 4 Feb 03
Posts: 1546
Credit: 4,314,463
RAC: 5,152
Norway
Message 10152 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 2:39:02 UTC - in response to Message 10132.

> This project is still in it's infancy. Of course it's going to stumble a
> little bit before it can run properly. I'm sure that most of their resources
> are still on the original S@H. If you need a S@H fix, you can always go back
> to it. I run it when I don't get any work for the new one. In fact, it's
> running on two machines right now.

Uhm, seti "classic" has been down more or less since Saturday, just take a look on the network-graphs, so it's not sure you've got more luck here getting work. ;)

Profile Darth Dogbytes™
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 30 Jul 03
Posts: 7512
Credit: 2,021,148
RAC: 0
United States
Message 10154 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 2:41:05 UTC - in response to Message 10140.
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 2:50:35 UTC

UCB/SSL is not Microsoft with all its' resources. But remember when Windows XP was released, it was supposed to be so secure, polished and free of bugs. When SAH1 was first released they were pulling out hairs. For those who believe that this is a perfect world and demand perfection and instant gratification, all I have to say is get real.
____________
Account frozen...

Anonymous
Send message
Joined: 15 Jan 02
Posts: 307
Credit: 24,137
RAC: 0
Afghanistan
Message 10159 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 3:10:50 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 3:13:36 UTC

Results in last 24h: 137,731 WU's

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/totals.html

That's from SETI "classic" Even if it was "down" since Saturday (which I didn't notice).....it seems to be kicking some butt today which is more than BOINC can say

</img>

EclipseHA
Send message
Joined: 28 Jul 99
Posts: 1018
Credit: 239,655
RAC: 114
United States
Message 10164 - Posted: 20 Jul 2004, 3:54:29 UTC - in response to Message 10141.

> I don't know why I typed beta. Brain lapse perhaps? Allow me to rephrase.
>
> "However, people who make the voluntary decision to stay a solo-Seti@home
> cruncher need to accept the hard realities of life - it has bugs. As such,
> when their computer sits idle for lack of work, it's a result of THEIR
> decision to stay commited to a buggy project with limited work units, NOT the
> fault of the Seti@home people."


IT IS the responsibily of the UCB crowd to let others know WTF is happinging!

The crunchers ARE the KEY sponsors of a project like this!

This stuff has been in beta for OVER A YEAR (20,000 registered testers), and there is NO EXCUSE for it being this buggy when going live!

I was one of those testers for the last 9 months. UCB didn't want to fix it, they only wanted to tell you why it "worked as intended" (the "owner manual" replies you still see from the cheerleaders!)

1 · 2 · Next

Message boards : Number crunching : No work from project

Copyright © 2014 University of California