better_banner.jpg MD5 check failed


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Getting started : better_banner.jpg MD5 check failed

Author Message
The Rabahy's
Send message
Joined: 1 Jun 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 15,235
RAC: 0
United States
Message 8325 - Posted: 15 Jul 2004, 15:30:40 UTC

Should I worry about the following message?

SETI@home - 2004-07-15 11:08:35 - verify_downloaded_file(): projects\\setiathome.berkeley.edu\\better_banner.jpg: MD5 check failed

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 1
Belgium
Message 8327 - Posted: 15 Jul 2004, 15:36:44 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 12:08:17 UTC

Yes because this jpg file is used in the graphics as well as in the screensaver.
It comes together with the Setiathome software.
Detach and re-attach to Setiathome.
This should resolve the problem.

After this is done, please check that your PC is not twice registered. If it is, you will need to do a "Merge" of your 2 registered PC's.

Greetings from Belgium.

Profile Keck_Komputers
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 4 Jul 99
Posts: 1575
Credit: 1,685,257
RAC: 573
United States
Message 8635 - Posted: 16 Jul 2004, 8:53:49 UTC - in response to Message 8327.

> Yes because this jpg file is used in the graphics as well as in the
> screensaver.
> It comes together with the Setiathome software.
> Detach and re-attach to Setiathome.
> This should resolve the problem.
>
> After this is done, please check that your PC is not twice registered. If it
> is, you will need to do a "Merge" of your 2 registered PC's.
>
> Greetings from Belgium.
>
>
A project reset should be sufficent to fix this problem.

John Keck
BOINCing since 2002/12/08

The Rabahy's
Send message
Joined: 1 Jun 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 15,235
RAC: 0
United States
Message 8749 - Posted: 16 Jul 2004, 16:10:14 UTC - in response to Message 8635.

> A project reset should be sufficent to fix this problem.
> John Keck

Unfortunately resetting didn't work;

SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - verify_downloaded_file(): projects\setiathome.berkeley.edu\better_banner.jpg: MD5 check failed
SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - expected 9ca6d34477ce3b990690a11a306a6616, got 3d8d48697f5d9604d56886ccdedd0cca
SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - Checksum or signature error for better_banner.jpg

Other files do transfer cleanly.

Should I just repeat the reset until it works?

Profile Keck_Komputers
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 4 Jul 99
Posts: 1575
Credit: 1,685,257
RAC: 573
United States
Message 8827 - Posted: 16 Jul 2004, 20:18:57 UTC - in response to Message 8749.

> > A project reset should be sufficent to fix this problem.
> > John Keck
>
> Unfortunately resetting didn't work;
>
> SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - verify_downloaded_file():
> projectssetiathome.berkeley.edubetter_banner.jpg: MD5 check failed
> SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - expected 9ca6d34477ce3b990690a11a306a6616,
> got 3d8d48697f5d9604d56886ccdedd0cca
> SETI@home - 2004-07-16 12:04:41 - Checksum or signature error for
> better_banner.jpg
>
> Other files do transfer cleanly.
>
> Should I just repeat the reset until it works?
>
>
If the reset didin't work then detaching and reattaching is the next thing to try. You might also try deleting the file from the project directory.

John Keck
BOINCing since 2002/12/08

The Rabahy's
Send message
Joined: 1 Jun 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 15,235
RAC: 0
United States
Message 8834 - Posted: 16 Jul 2004, 20:31:47 UTC - in response to Message 8827.

> If the reset didin't work then detaching and reattaching is the next thing to
> try. You might also try deleting the file from the project directory.
> John Keck

Detaching and reattaching led to the same problem.

I found the project directory and deleted the file. Now I just have to wait for the project server to come back online.

The Rabahy's
Send message
Joined: 1 Jun 99
Posts: 6
Credit: 15,235
RAC: 0
United States
Message 8937 - Posted: 17 Jul 2004, 3:27:56 UTC

It turns out my problem was with my one ISP, SprintPCS (cellular G3). They compress jpg images with a certain amount of loss. My guess is any ISP that compresses jpg's with loss will be a problem, e.g. AOL 9.0, etc.

When I got home and used my cable Internet then it works fine.

Questions and Answers : Getting started : better_banner.jpg MD5 check failed

Copyright © 2014 University of California