Decreasing computation delay?!?


log in

Advanced search

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Decreasing computation delay?!?

Author Message
Profile Verident
Send message
Joined: 26 Aug 03
Posts: 1
Credit: 237,995
RAC: 0
Canada
Message 5807 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 21:24:34 UTC

Hi

Is there another way you can lower your computation time, except upgrading your hardware.

Cpu and Ram spec:
- Amd 2200+ Clock at 1.8 Ghz
- 512 ddr ram pc2700 333mhz

My Average time in seti@home classic is about 13-14 hours, dont know if i'ts good for my spec, but I would realy like better performance.

Profile nightowl
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 70
Credit: 948
RAC: 0
Canada
Message 5832 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 22:34:22 UTC

Hi there, that does seem quite high for your chip. Make sure you defrag your drive and try not to have anything else running.
ttyl
Jeff

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 5846 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 23:13:50 UTC
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 12:44:30 UTC

>......try not to have anything else running.
>
Having other processes running has NO influence on your final CPU time to complete the process of a WU. It has ONLY an influence on the wall clock time to have it completed.
It is important to understand that the given time for processing is CPU time. If you have a lot of processes running or not has no influence at all on this given time.
The only way to lower this time is to improve the hardware of your PC.

Greetings from Belgium.

Heffed
Volunteer tester
Send message
Joined: 19 Mar 02
Posts: 1856
Credit: 40,736
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5866 - Posted: 10 Jul 2004, 0:00:03 UTC - in response to Message 5846.

> Having other processes running has NO influence on your final CPU time
> to complete the process of a WU. It has ONLY an influence on the wall
> clock time to have it completed.
> It is important to understand that the given time for processing is CPU
> time. If you have a lot of processes running or not has no influence at all on
> this given time.
> The only way to lower this time is to improve the hardware of your PC.

I think he's asking how he can process a WU faster? ie: quicker wall clock time per WU.

So yes, shutting down non-essential processes should improve his process time. (wall clock)

<a> [/url]

Profile Thierry Van Driessche
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 20 Aug 02
Posts: 3083
Credit: 147,525
RAC: 0
Belgium
Message 5869 - Posted: 10 Jul 2004, 0:07:37 UTC - in response to Message 5866.
Last modified: 20 Jul 2004, 12:42:22 UTC

> I think he's asking how he can process a WU faster? ie: quicker wall clock
> time per WU.
>
> So yes, shutting down non-essential processes should improve his process time.
> (wall clock)

Agree with this.

Greetings from Belgium.

Pascal, K G
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 3 Apr 99
Posts: 2343
Credit: 150,491
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5871 - Posted: 10 Jul 2004, 0:13:58 UTC - in response to Message 5832.

> Hi there, that does seem quite high for your chip. Make sure you defrag
> your drive and try not to have anything else running.
> ttyl
> Jeff
>
Try running with the screen saver turned off, cause I do believe it chews up a lot of cpu time.....
Seti@Home, it is really about the science, isn’t it!!

Profile Jaaku
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 29 Oct 02
Posts: 494
Credit: 346,224
RAC: 0
United Kingdom
Message 6158 - Posted: 10 Jul 2004, 16:03:04 UTC - in response to Message 5871.

> Try running with the screen saver turned off, cause I do believe it chews up a lot of cpu time.....

depends how fast your CPU is to how much % it uses, but yea stoping it or set how much cpu it uses in pref will make it compleat faster, also OC will make it run faster, but if you dont want a dead pc i DONT recommend it :) and dont blame me :@

Questions and Answers : Preferences : Decreasing computation delay?!?

Copyright © 2014 University of California