BOINC won't fall over to the new CGI script location


log in

Advanced search

Message boards : Number crunching : BOINC won't fall over to the new CGI script location

Author Message
JHutch - Team AnandTech
Send message
Joined: 12 Jun 01
Posts: 5
Credit: 94,828
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5631 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 14:18:20 UTC

The BOINC client keeps attempting to contact http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah_cgi/cgi instead of the new setiboincdata location.

Tried manually updating 15 times in a row.

Tried letting it run overnight and update on its own.

I tried unattaching, reattaching.

Tried manually editing the XML files.

Tried uninstall/reinstalling BOINC. It refused to try the new location.

Can anybody see what I'm doing wrong? Right now, Predictor units is all I can get for these computers.

JHutch

Profile xi3piscium
Volunteer tester
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 17 Aug 99
Posts: 287
Credit: 26,674
RAC: 0
China
Message 5636 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 14:23:28 UTC

You should be connecting to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu -
<a> [/url]

JHutch - Team AnandTech
Send message
Joined: 12 Jun 01
Posts: 5
Credit: 94,828
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5640 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 14:32:37 UTC - in response to Message 5636.

> You should be connecting to http://setiathome.berkeley.edu -
> <a> [/url]
>

Sigh...

I should and am.

The BOINC client contacts the above address for the scheduler. The problem is, I can't get BOINC to contact the new address. The old address gives a failed message because the scheduler isn't located there anymore.

JHutch - Team AnandTech
Send message
Joined: 12 Jun 01
Posts: 5
Credit: 94,828
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5643 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 14:36:55 UTC - in response to Message 5640.

After digging a little more, I'm starting to suspect the firewall here at work is giving BOINC the same info instead of actually contacting http://setiathome.berkeley.edu and getting the new CGI location info.

Does anyone know what needs to be done in the XML files to "force" the BOINC client to look at the new location? Is this even possible?

JHutch

Profile bfarrant
Avatar
Send message
Joined: 4 Jun 99
Posts: 228
Credit: 36,710
RAC: 0
Canada
Message 5698 - Posted: 9 Jul 2004, 17:35:28 UTC - in response to Message 5643.
Last modified: 9 Jul 2004, 17:46:32 UTC

> Does anyone know what needs to be done in the XML files to "force" the BOINC
> client to look at the new location? Is this even possible?
>
> JHutch
>

Yes you can, I did it on several of my computers. I tried with one and didn't have any luck, so I detached
and re-attached that computer and then did a comparison of the files on that computer to the other computers
and edited them accordingly. I should have written everything down, but I didn't - so here's what I found
as far as I can remember :

- shut down Boinc
- back up your BOINC directory first (of course) so you can recover if need be
- rename "account_setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu.xml" to "account_setiathome.berkeley.edu.xml"
- in the "projects" directory, rename the directory "setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu_sah" to "setiathome.berkeley.edu"

- edit the following files, replacing "http://setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu/sah/" with "http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/"
these addresses are usually associated with the tag "master_url" :

in the main Boinc directory:
- "account_setiathome.berkeley.edu.xml"
- "client_state.xml"
- "sched_request.xml"

in each of the "slots" directories (if you have more than one):
- "init_data.xml" needs to have "C:/Program Files/BOINC/projects/setiboinc.ssl.berkeley.edu_sah" replaced with
"C:/Program Files/BOINC/projects/setiathome.berkeley.edu" to let it know of the name change you did to the directory
- "result.sah"
- "setiathome_3.08_windows_intelx86.pdb"
- "work_unit.sah"

I also deleted the files "stderr.old" and "stdout.old", and edited "stderr.txt" and "stdout.txt" to remove all data
from them so that when I re-started Boinc I knew it would start off without any log data, just to be sure.

Fire Boinc up and do a project update, it should work unless I forgot something.


JHutch - Team AnandTech
Send message
Joined: 12 Jun 01
Posts: 5
Credit: 94,828
RAC: 0
United States
Message 5916 - Posted: 10 Jul 2004, 2:28:49 UTC

Thanks for all the information.

It turned out that the firewall was the problem. For some reason, it was caching the project data and was never giving BOINC the new schedular location.

When I switched the BOINC firewall setting to the backup firewall at work, it immediately switched to the new schedular when I detached/reattached.

Thanks again!

JHutch

Message boards : Number crunching : BOINC won't fall over to the new CGI script location

Copyright © 2014 University of California